Woodstain conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

You've never failed me yet good people of the forums so here goes!

Decorating hallway landing and stairs. 8 doors......Yay!!!

The doors in question are an unidentified species of wood which has been stained a shade like mahogany by the looks. Its got a bit of a sheen so I'm not sure if there are stains that have that sort of effect or if its had a lacquer / varnish coat after.

Anyhoo. I want to gloss them white so they stop sucking every ray of light within 200 miles out of the atmosphere and was wondering what my best method of stopping the dark colour showing through. Basically my questions are this.

1. Am I correct in assuming a water based stain would require a oil based primer and vice versa?

2. If so, how do I tell if its water based or oil based stain already on the doors?

3. Is primer and undercoat combined any good for this type of job or should I use primer, undercoat and then top coat?

4. Can anyone recommend any product that covers well in minimum number of coats? I've used cheap paint and ended up doing about 4 coats. I've used what I would consider better quality paint that rhymes with mulux and one that rhymes with frown and still ended up doing 4 coats so I thought it time I asked someone with more expertise than myself (ie. most people here!)

Thanks for your time guys.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the Zinsser range of primers to see what you think. Most of them will adhere to all types of stain/varnish and block the colour allowing you to use a good gloss like Crown Solo (self undercoating) as a finish coat. The only downside is that they can be fairly expensive.

I can't get onto the Zinsser site at the moment to post a link for you but there's some good info on the range on the THIS SITE Coverstain or Bullseye would be two of the better products for this job.

Thanks for the help. Does the oil based/ water based issue matter? Still wonder how to tell what type it us.

Does the oil based/ water based issue matter? Still wonder how to tell what type it us.

With the Zinsser it doesn't really matter whether you are going over oil or water based as it adheres to/covers both. I'm not sure how it would fare over any waxes or oils that may have been used, which usually cause most paints to ciss (pock marks) as you apply it.

A basic test to check whether you have an oil or water based varnish would be to rub the area with denatured alcohol (meths). Coloured, water based varnishes will soften and come off on the rag after rubbing whereas oil based won't. If it's just a woodstain/dye then oil based may also come off.

Sponsored Links
thanks again.

Would the zinsser 123 be a viable option? I've heard that being water based that it is easier to apply over larger areas.

Is it just their base constituent that differs or do they have different covering and adhesion qualities?

cheers

Bullseye 1-2-3 should be fine unless there is something extremely unusual about the finish you are painting over.
I'm not sure of the exact constitition of their products but they do contain 'advanced resins' which give them greater adhesion and hiding power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back