Woodstaining new wood

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Am going to stain some new skirting, doors and banister using, probably Johnstones light oak woodstain.
Will lightly sand and apply two coats......correct procedure ? Some people mention about applying clear varnish etc on top but my plan is to just apply the two coats of woodstain.
Also what about the idea of applying by cloth as opposed to a brush ?
Cheers all

Sponsored Links
hi,are you using a stain varnish...if you are you can apply 2 coats and leave it at that.if it is just a stain i would advise a clear varnish on top which will protect and make it easy to wipe down/clean.use a brush if its a stain varnish.

Sponsored Links
Am doing this for a friend. They have now decided they want a clear gloss finish to their new bare wood.
Am hoping now to just apply an oil based clear gloss varnish, two coats.
Don't need a stain to start do I ? Do they do a clear gloss stain anyway ?
Don't want to rush it but there again don't want to be there for a week putting six coats on....it's a favour anyway, I'm not charging.
So two coats clear gloss varnish..with a brush....sound ok ?
Any advice appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back