Woodstains v decking stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any major difference (apart from a massive difference in price) between general wood stains that say they are to protect all garden furniture, sheds etc and the stuff sold as decking stain? Is the normal wood stain ok to use? Has the deck stain got special properties or is it just that its more hardwearing and therefore will last longer before it needs doing again?

Sponsored Links
Tried several varieties of decking stain and all started to wash off after a few months.I wouldn't recommend it for anything.Oil's are better for both furniture and decking.

Sadolin seems to be a good product. A good trade paint store should be able to give you good technical advice with no pressure to buy. Good stuff is never cheap. I tried some cheap water based exterior stain and it wash away after a time. But, technology moves on, and user friendly products get better all the time. If the trade use it its probably good. No-one wants a job to go wrong.

I've been thinking about decking oil. They appear to be mostly linseed oil with a bit of white spirit added so they soak in faster.

I use linseed oil on my door and window sills, and it seems to last better than stains.

Sponsored Links
I understand what you say about oils but the problem is she who must be obeyed wants it a nice(!!) colour, so decking oil is out of the question. The decking oil does come in various colours but not as much choice as the woodstains where now there is a huge choice, but it's no good if they are going to wash off. I think they are Cuprinol she has seen with a huge choice of shades. And of course you can get them on the deals 2 for the price of 3 etc in the stores, but the decking stuff never seems to be on offer. Just my luck!!

If only it were that simple...lol, and have tried a slap but she liked it and then things got out of hand...lol
Negotiations are continuing and she is coming round to the realisation that she won't have the huge choice of colours as the woodstains give you. But my main gripe, and no-one has really asnwered the question, is that the stuff marketed as decking stain is twice the price of the stuff sold as wood stain to 'protect all your garden wood from the elements'. So is there any real difference? Or is it the same stuff in different packaging?

Wood stain usually has a disclaimer saying it's less resistant to wear on horizontal surfaces, and you don't usually walk on your furniture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back