Woodworm in kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just taken delivery of what I must admit is a fairly cheap ‘walnut’ kitchen worktop. Seemed worth a punt and generally looks okay.

What I have noticed is something that looks like a single woodworm hole into one end of the worktop. Actually this end piece can be cut away when fitted but should I treat the wood before fitting just to make sure? If so can anyone recommend something that won’t kill me as well as the bug(s)?

Sponsored Links
has the timber been treated with anything,i:e stain/varnish etc,if so then what ever you decide to put on it may well be pointless,as it will not soak into the timber itself,
as its a hardwood i would say you need to use a spirit based fluid as it has better soaking properties over a water bourne solution,but then you have the problem of it being a kitchen worktop which in turn MAY CONTAMINATE any foodstuffs that are prepare on said worktops.

hmmm only you can decide on the course of action. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back