Woodworm / wet rot? in shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was going to repaint the door and surround of my stone wall/slated-roof garden shed but when I started to do prep work I noticed the fascia above the door was splitting in a couple of places and had quite a few woodworm exit holes and a few in the lintel (pic 1). I then noticed there was loads of exit holes in the lintel surface on the inside of the shed (pic 2)and that when I exposed the end of the lintel outside it looked like it had rotted through rain penetration and maybe woodworm too (pic3). No idea how long things have been like that, it could have been years.

If it was part of my house rather than at the end of my garden i'd get a builder in to replace all affected wood but as it's just a shed that seems OTT expensive so I'm thinking DIY. The surfaces with exit holes are all painted so I gather the wood can't be treated with woodworm killer and the lintel seems quite sturdy despite the visible damage. I have very ltd diy ability and my thoughts are to use wood hardener on the rotted lintel end, put filler in the split fascia and fill the void around the exposed lintel end with mortar. I just wondered what others would do in the same situation.

xslqudt5ff21.jpg
d55nfkevv8lf.jpg

y2ka8ur8or03.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have a stab of the wooden lintel/plate with a bradawl, see how much of the wood is rotten, replace/repair as necessary.

I would guess water is coming off the roof on the side and keeping the wood wet for a lot of year, the slate could do with overhanging the wall slightly to shed water rather than keep drenching the wall & wood.

PS Aldi were selling off pressure sprayers with the wand for £7 yesterday.

Sponsored Links
All you need now is a nice big dry rot fruiting body to make up the set!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back