woops! Used regular mortar for seams instead of thin set?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all! I'm hoping someone has an answer. We used regular morter to fill the seams between the hardi backer boards instead of thin set. (Building a shower stall) Now all the seams are a bit thicker than the board. We are getting ready to install the tile, but I am afraid that when we put the tile on the walls, they will be uneven, have gaps, crack, etc. Do we need to completely smooth the surface out before tiling or when we use the thin set to set the tiles on the wall, will we be able to level it out enough? BTW, we are using 6 inch tiles. Thanks for your input!

Sponsored Links
Why not trim the seam back to the level of the board? Have you taped/sealed the board joints? I am trade here in the UK but I assume you’re aware this is a UK DIY forum? The terminology & materials you are specifying are somewhat different to standard practice over here! Is a “shower stall” more than one shower? Is it a commercial shower block in a sports club or something?

6” tiles are hardly going to be a challenge but the materials you specify are definitely not something I would use, you should at least be using a flexi adhesive over Hardibacker & maybe even a modified cement powder (it’s all there in the Hardi spec sheets). Are you saying you would normally use an unmodified or thinset mortar/screed to tile & grout?

i have currenly just boxed my bath in and use backerboard onto onf the frame prior to tiling. I have got a waterproof flexible adhesive, to tile with. Can I fill the joints in of the backerboard or do you have to use thinset ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I am sorry i didnt realize to write it in this thread it was a accident I am familar with forum rules. Sorry op.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back