Worcester 24CDI - steaming and pressure dropping abruptly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, just found it when trying to find out what is going on with my boiler.

It is a Worcester 24CDI (have no idea how old, because I'm in a rented flat) and it has been working properly, until today.

After taking a shower, I noticed a hissing sound coming from the airing cupboard and there was steam coming out from the boiler's air vent. After that, the pressure dropped to zero and the boiler just stopped working.

We switched if off at the main switch and left it like that for a couple of hours, hoping it would start working again when we switched it back on, but it obviously didn't. And then I tried to open a hot water tap and there was a series of thumping sounds coming from the insides of the boiler, so we decided not to do anything else without some guidance.

Is this something we can deal with, or should we get an expert in?

Sponsored Links
It could just be low pressure and needs topping up. It could also be a failed pump which can be a DIY job but could get a bit messy if you don't know what your doing.

Hi Andygasman2010,

We topped up and it seems to be working - for now, at least.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
see how long it lasts before dropping to zero again. might have just been some trapped air being released from system ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back