Worcester 24i RSF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got one of these thats sparking but not lighting. There's 240 on pins at x5 and the resistances on the gas valve check out ok, according to the manual it's not possible to check the lead for continuity and it's a case of buying a gas valve or lead. Is this because there's some kind of rectifier in the head of the lead? Does anyone know of any way of proving it is the lead that's faulty? Apart from swopping it out cos I haven't got one, and can't get one before tomorrow if I'm lucky.

Sponsored Links
Some boilers have a bridge rectifier built into the plug which attaches to the gas valve.

It is possible to test them but you have to assemble a tester. Thats best done using the socket from an old gas valve and a resistor to mimic the solenoid or a real ( good ) solenoid but adding test points.

If you have around 200 VAC at the input to the lead then you should have about 240 raw DC at the output but its difficult to measure with the plug in place. The figure you obtain varies widely according to how your meter responds to raw DC. Anyone working on this type of boiler regularly would build an extender with test points.

The leads often do fail but few people seem to bother to do any testing and just replace and see if it works.

What you can do is to measure to see if volts are being applied to the lead.

Tony

Thanks Tony, that sounds a bit beyond me. I think I'll get hold of a lead to keep as a spare, then it would be easy to swop it out for testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back