Worcester 28i Junior issue pilot keeps going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, first time poster apologies if this has been asked before.

We have an old boiler (according to plumbers who've been round) which up until recently has been serving us well. Three years ago we went on holiday, turned boiler off. On return, it would tick but not ignite. We rang a friend of a friend who told me to whack a certain part a few times with a screwdriver, and turn it off and on. It worked!

Three years later, same thing has happened. But now, multiple times a day, there's no hot water and we have to turn the boiler off at the mains and back on. Most of the time it ignites. If it doesn't, we hit that part a few times and it comes back on. We're being told there might be a blockage somewhere.

The thing we have to hit, is the black bit in the centre of the picture.
Does anyone know what this part is , and whether it can be replaced? Rather than save for a new boiler, I'd obviously try this cheaper method of replacing parts :)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2018-08-05 12.04.43.jpg
    2018-08-05 12.04.43.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 1,021
Sponsored Links
Hi, it’s not a junior. It’s looks like a 28i rsf.

Pcb common to fault and have got many going with a wee tap to housing.

Best get someone in if you’re not competent to do safety.

Cheers @McCombi , this was replaced about four years ago, are they prone to failure or have we done well to get four years out of that part.

@AGAS sorry I think I may have got the model number slightly wrong - ours is an older version with a pilot light

Sponsored Links
@AGAS In the picture I uploaded, there is a black circular thing with two blue wires attached. If when we restart the boiler, it doesn't ignite, we can hit that black part a few times on the side with a screwdriver, which seems to do the trick

Looks like the old WB 28i RSF combi as @McCombi mentioned, it doesn't have a pilot light. The part you are tapping is probably the solenoid on the gas valve and it's sticking, a few taps gets it moving.

It's needs to be replaced by a Gas Safe registered engineer, the part is around £100, plus the fit of course.

yes I agree with the others, replacement gas valve required and agree you do not have a pilot , what you are seeing is the main burner igniting, a pilot light is something different.

@ianmcd Thanks yes sorry that is exactly what I'm seeing, the burner ugnite. Thought it was a pilot sorry about that.
Thanks @Madrab yes that sounds like the one.
Is this valve part something I can buy and get someone to fit?

Thanks in advance

Yes you could, it's getting an engineer that is happy for you to do that though. I'd find an engineer and ask them though, no-one here can speak for them.

@ianmcd Thanks yes sorry that is exactly what I'm seeing, the burner ugnite. Thought it was a pilot sorry about that.
Thanks @Madrab yes that sounds like the one.
Is this valve part something I can buy and get someone to fit?

Thanks in advance
Why bother you can’t fit it yourself without specilised equipment and won’t save much anyway

Sorry for the delay in replying.
@AGAS I guess it's because we're being told by a couple of plumbers that you can't get parts for these Worcester boilers any more, therefore, we need a new boiler. Our neighbour seems to think you still can. Plus, after having the expansion vessel replaced, I know how much they cost, and what we got quoted/charged let me tell you, was miles apart.

So would you lean towards the gas valve being the gremlin rather than the PCB?

Thanks in advance

you can't get parts for these Worcester boilers any more,

Just about all the bits for this boiler are still available so they're fishing for a boiler swap. The question is whether it is economically viable to get the gas valve replaced and they should have been selling it to you on that point.

The black bit you are taping is not on the PCB, if it's on the gas valve with the 2 wires attached then it's the solenoid you are tapping.

You really need a good GSR engineer in though to check and confirm the solenoid is faulty and quote for the repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back