Worcester 28i Junior - Not Firing Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I hope somebody can help before I end up replacing the boiler in exasperation!)
We have had our Worcester 28i junior combi fitted for about 3 years. A few days ago, the red lock out light was flashing and I couldnt get it to relight. I called out a plumber we know just to take a look and he indicated it could be either the pcb or the gas valve. Hes not a big fan of Worcesters to be honest and said this was a common problem.
We obtained a new pcb and have had this fitted, but the problem is the same - the pump is working, the fan is turning but the ignition is sparking but it is not lighting. (We cant hear any water coming into the boiler which we can normally hear when the boiler ignites)
I dont really want to get the plumber mate out again as he is hell bent on selling us a new Ideal ~Boiler which we can ill afford at the moment.
Has anyone any other suggestions? Is there a way of testing the gas valve?
Thanks in advance
Louise

Sponsored Links
This is a perfectly repairable boiler but you do need a competent boiler engineer, perhaps from Worcester themselves if they are doing out of warranty repairs at the moment.

You have done something which many people posting on this site do! Calling someone to "look" at the boiler but not actually paying them to fix it. You then get the part yourself but it doesn't fix the problem.

If you paid a competent engineer then its his task is to fix the boiler and you would not have to pay for parts which are not the cause of the fault.

Its obviously up to you what you do, but what you have done so far is to spend about £150 on a part which is not needed with no opportunity to return it for a refund.

Depending on the real fault, a boiler engineer may have been able to simply fix it, perhaps with no parts needed, at a much lower cost!

Tony

Hi Tony
Thanks for your fast response. I paid £50 for the part actually from a plumbing shop on Ebay ;) but I get your point.
The boilers doing everything it should do (fan, pump, etc) except light the ignition. Im thinking its probably going to be the gas valve but yes, definately a plumber or heating engineer needed. :eek:
Lou

WB are doing a fixed price repair at the moment for £180 which includes up to three main components including gas valve,PCB and fan.
They are open till 10 PM every night for service calls and the tech helpline is open to 8PM seven days.

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony
I paid £50 for the part actually from a plumbing shop on Ebay ;) but I get your point.
Lou

I dont see how a plumbing shop can sell a genuine new Worcester PCB for just £50.

I did a search of ebay and did find one for £105 though. Most of those kind of listings are genuine new parts but stolen from engineer's employers!

Perhaps yours was repaired, used, faulty???

The WB deal seems your best bet.

But dont call a plumber, call a boiler engineer!

Tony

WB are doing a fixed price repair at the moment for £180 which includes up to three main components including gas valve,PCB and fan.
They are open till 10 PM every night for service calls and the tech helpline is open to 8PM seven days.

Thanks for that, Tony. I thought they'd be way more expensive than that. I will definately give them a call today.
:D

Hi Tony
I paid £50 for the part actually from a plumbing shop on Ebay ;) but I get your point.
Lou

I dont see how a plumbing shop can sell a genuine new Worcester PCB for just £50.

I did a search of ebay and did find one for £105 though. Most of those kind of listings are genuine new parts but stolen from engineer's employers!

Perhaps yours was repaired, used, faulty???

The WB deal seems your best bet.

But dont call a plumber, call a boiler engineer!

Tony

Yes, the starting price was £50, and I was the only bidder so won it. It was listed as new and came in the original sealed box.
Stolen?? :eek:
Waste of £50 for me anyway as it didnt do the trick.
WB is the way Im gonna go, I think.
:D

Tonyhboy,
Just phoned Worcester - yup £180 and theyre coming on Monday.

(Just gonna return to hogging the gas fire now!) :LOL:

I would get the old pcb back in,i would be looking for a sensor fault,any corgi reg installer,with 1/2 brain,knows pcb's is your last part you will fit,i always check sensor's,thermistors,solenoids etc before i fit a pcb,also worcester technical is theree to help,im not ashamed to tell a customer im asking the technical people

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back