Worcester 28i junior locked out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im a rookie heating engineer(nvq 3 part p 17th)) who is just venturing out into the scary world of being self employed, im about to start a job on a worcester 28i junior (GC NUMBER 47 311 70) RSF i think that has had a leak on/above the return pipe under the boiler for a year although they have been topping up the boiler and now the customer says there is no hot water or heating and the red light is showing on the fascia and the boiler wont fire, im thinking of checking the obv (input and bp settings) and then heat thermostat then fan. Im just wondering if anyone can shed any light on these type of probs on this model of boiler before i start.

I would rather do things the proper way and not botch anything through lack of experience which is why i am seeking knowledge of anybody on here.

Thanks
J

Sponsored Links
is it the standard efficiency? 28i

if so dont beat yourself up on these because there a pain in the arse

worcester engineers hate them, & technical are hopeless too

Be prepare to find a botch job already. These boilers have been predominantly popular with cowboys.
What do you mean by obv?

And get yourself into the CC.

Is it the 1 with the flahing oval red light, if it wont reset, or when you press reset does nothing with a demand then fan pulses once and goes back 2 flashing lockout, its PCB, i carry 1 on the van 4 these, common fault with them, WHY you working alone if no experiance, dont think your customers will be to happy, when you cant get the cases off, hardest part sometimes doesnt half make you look a **** though

Sponsored Links
5 times
yes it is a standard eff 28i and i had quick a look at it before so i can download the MI's for it and it looks terrible, no dials for ch or hw (in the mi the model shown only has 1 dial?)

bengasman
it certainly looks like a botch job and the cust informed me they had a gas leak on it after it was installed to which the fella who installed it tried to charge them to come and fix and they have had problems with it ever since so you was spot on with that. As for the obv i meant fix leak then check pressures and fuses then ch & dhw sensors, pump then air pres switch, overheat stat.

OLLIE20
Yes it is that 1, i held the reset for 5 secs and nothing happened, i have experience but only limited, this is because for the last 3 years ( i also done a plumbing course) ppl i have approached to get any experience off in exchange for free/cheap labour have always refused through 1 excuse or another, i think they just thougt i would be competition to them in future so why should they give me any help which is fair enough i suppose, im in partnership with a friend who has been working with a few ppl he knows, everyone has to start somewhere.

I meant to say thank you for you replies and for any help i can get off you is much appreciated

Yeah thats true mate every1 does, well if you are pressing it in and then it just goes back to lockout, when given a demand, its sounds like a PCB erron to me, as i said common fault on these, however you will be best to check Stats as you said just to makesure, you cant check B.P. if its not firing, or inlet working pressure, only inlet standing pressure which isnt worth much unless its extremely lw or high as this fluctuates throughout day depending on demand in local area

I meant to say thank you for you replies and for any help i can get off you is much appreciated
Only limited offer here in the public gallery, you really should get yourself access to cc.
You'll find it very hard to get any safety related issues answered in this section.

If you stick your email addy in your profile I will send you a pdf with all the thermistor settings/fault finding guide etc.

OLLIE20
thanks again

bengasman
cheers but what do you mean by cc?

picasso
i will add it straight away, thanks

The combustion chamber is the place where you learn all those things that only come with experience. The combined knowledge of the members is measured in centuries.
I consider myself to be pretty good when I compare my work with what I hear from clients, but put me next to some guys, and I'm only halfway there.

Thanks guys, i filled the details in for cc so hopefully i will be able to tap into the wealth of knowledge in there soon, i had a quick look at the 28i before and as the home owner is away next monday they asked if we could do it then and i noticed that the EV had no air in it and there was water coming out, also the boiler inself is sited in an old water tank cupboard right opposite a soil stack seperated by about 4/5 inches and as space is a premium the person who installed it only put the screws next to the stack in finger tight only prob coz they never had a stubby screwdriver, icluding the casing screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back