Worcester 28i Junior No hot water but heating ok????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I hope someone can shed some light on my boiler problem!
I had the above boiler installed around 3 years ago and haven't had any problems as such up until tonight.

Went to run some hot water and at one moment it was scorching hot then ice cold. The pilot came on and went off again after around 30 seconds.
I have reset it a couple of times and tried running the water with the heating off, but it's still stone cold.
Turned the heating back on and all the rads have heated up fine and the boiler is happily ticking over.
Tried the water again and the boiler starts clicking, pilot goes on then off, red hot water and then ice cold, boiler again only settles down when the tap is turned off!

Tried looking things up on the web and came across possibilities being the diverter valve, heat sensor etc.
Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks
Lisa

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an air supply issue , air switch drops out on high flame if not enough air getting through flue, check flue, venturis and airswitch.

It will light up then be starved of oxygen on high flame for hot water but it runs on lower flame for heating so heating gets there ok.

Check flue is all clear and correct first

Thanks for your reply, Is that something easy enough for my husband to do or will it require an engineer?

Just thought I would add the pressure gauge shoots right up to the red zone when the hot water tap is turned on and then drops down again, would an air supply issue cause that as well?

The boiler was turned off all night and fired up lovely, heating the rads with no problem, soon as the tap is turned on the water comes out thermo nuclear hot and then goes stone cold.

I know I will have to get an engineer out to sort this out, but just want to get a more clear idea what the fault might be.
why do these things always go wrong on the weekend?!

Thanks
Lisa

Have been advised by my Father-in-law, who is a plumber Non-corgi reg, that bleeding all the rads may help, even though none of them have cold patches (a couple do have leaking valves tho!)

Will this make any difference?

Sponsored Links
Just spoje to Worcester Technical "help" and the miserable bloke I spoke to said it sounds like a problem with the gas pressure, but was reluctant to go into further detail.
Does this sound about right?

is it an i jnr or a greenstar jnr?and no your rads do not need venting,very unlikely to be a gas pressure prob.

The lable on the boiler says - Greenstar 28i Junior..

I didn't think bleeding the rads would help, but as I'm definitely no expert thought I should check!

I think the bloke at Worcester told me any old rubbish as it was so opbvious he couldn't be bothered.

Pressure dropped right down to zero and wouldn't even fire up the heating.
Managed to get it back up 1.5, turned on the hot water tap and it shot round to 3.5, back down to 1, back up to 2 and settled back at 1.5 again!

Got a British Gas Engineer coming out on Monday, will post what his findings are

I think the bloke at Worcester told me any old rubbish as it was so opbvious he couldn't be bothered.

I think thats unfair!

Worcester tech help is one of the best in the industry.

The plain facts are that you have two faults and he cannot guess exactly what they are. Diagnosing faults requires considerable skill and making tests which is not possible over teh phone.

The Worcester fellow cannot discuss gas related matters with you because you are not CORGI registered and it would have sounded as if you wanted to repair the boiler yourself when you are not qualified which could be very dangerous.

Why do I guess that you have never had the boiler serviced?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back