Worcester 28i RSF and Honeywell T6360B - incorrect wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We had a builder friend (friend of my dads) complete some work on our new house when we moved in. Most of the work was completed but he only partly completed connecting a thermostat up to the combi boiler before suddenly becoming too busy to come back!

I've tried taking a look myself and reading up the instructions on the Honeywell and Bosch manuals, and have got part of the way there, but just want to make sure everything is ok.

Boiler: Worcester Bosch 28i - http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/ca...instructions-for-28i--discontinued-nov-05.pdf
TS wiring instructions on page 12

Thermostat: Honeywell T6360B - http://www.honeywelluk.com/Documents/Installation-Guide/pdf/1151.pdf

I've attached some pictures.
The first picture (T6360B-01) shows how the builder left the connections at the stat. The other end of the cable was not connected to the boiler.
The second picture (T6360B-02) shows what i changed the stat connections to.
The third picture (T6360B-03) is the wiring example inside the TS cover.

Currently, the thermostat is not connected to the boiler. I did temporarily connect it (using the connections as per further down), and it seemed to work in manually controlling the boiler and firing the heating on, but I wasn't sure if it was fully correct.

Some other comments:
1 - The builder has used a 2 core plus earth cable. It seems like I needed a 3 core plus earth. I guess to be able to wire in the anticipator on the thermostat and also for future proofing? The wiring has already been run across the house and through walls/under floorboards, so there isn't any way for me to change the cable now (carpets already laid in most of the house where the cable was run through).

2 - When i changed the connections (as the connections bythe builder made no sense to me when compared with the wiring diagram), i ended up shortening the brown wire such that it wouldn't reach terminal 1 for the stat. I temporarily swapped the use of the blue and brown wires so that i am using the blue as "Live". If i do connect the stat up to the boiler permanently I will be sleeving the wires so they now match what they are connected up as.

3 - When i connected the Stat to the boiler, it was like this:
Stat Term 1 - blue wire (as live) - to Boiler term RL (Live)
Stat Term 3 - brown wire (as switched live?) - to Boiler term RI (Switched Live)
Stat Term 2 - no connection
Stat Term earth - earth connection still connected - but not connected to anything on boiler (made safe)

I am able to control the heating using the Stat with this set up, but am I right in thinking that as I only have a Live/Switched Live connection, the boiler will be firing up and running based on its internal thermostat/heat control, and wont adjust according to the anticipator in the thermostat?

Is there a way I can get the anticipator working in the thermostat using a 2 core and earth cable? Is that what the builder had been trying to do with his original wiring set up?
Or could i potentially use the earth cable as the neutral between Stat term 2 and boiler term RN? The Boiler it self is well earthed and has its fuse right by it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't know why the builder installed that model thermostat; it's almost an antique. You should change it to a Honeywell DT90E.

This stat:

(a) only needs two wires
(b) is more accurate
(c) gives better control over the temperature.

Which time controller do you have?

Hi D_Hailsham

The timer is one built/added into the boiler, and looks like the pic below. It's wired up as per page 12 of the boiler installation manual I pasted in my original post

I probably could change the thermostat, but there isn't much wiggle room for the cable and might not be enough to fit into a new thermostat (they left absolutely no slack at all!)
I suppose it could be done, but might need to put a join in the cable from the other side of the wall, which is the garage.

If I can get the current thermostat working without needing to change it/a lot of work, would prefer to do that for now and then look at a different thermostat later. The wife thinks there are plenty of other projects to be working on rather than changing the thermostat!

Thanks

desig

From the boiler RL goes to terminal 1 on the thermostat. And 3 on the room stat goes to RI at the boiler. If there is a link between the RI and RL terminals it must be removed. RL is the live out to the thermostat and RI is the switched live back in which will fire the boiler when there is a demand.

Sponsored Links
From the boiler RL goes to terminal 1 on the thermostat. And 3 on the room stat goes to RI at the boiler. If there is a link between the RI and RL terminals it must be removed. RL is the live out to the thermostat and RI is the switched live back in which will fire the boiler when there is a demand.
What about the Neutral?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back