Worcester 924 Electronic Boiler Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please help - I've got a 12 year Worcester 924 Electronic combi boiler that stopped working about a week ago.

Got an engineer out who said that the gas valve was faulty and also the air vent needed replacing. I could see water leaking out of the vent so that sounded legit but after replacing these parts at a cost of £290 the boiler only works for about 5 minutes before the trip switch trips - due to overheating.

I rang the engineer back and he said to stick tape over the switch as it isn't actually overheating but he said that the thermostat probably isn't working.

Sounds rather dodgy to me!

I'm also concerned he's fitted the gas valve when the actual problem was that the trip had tripped and either he didn't notice it or is trying to fleece me, the part was £200.

Any advice please!

Sponsored Links
You dont know and I dont know!

I am sure that every year many gas valves are replaced when all that had happened is an o/h stat has tripped. Yours probably was too but unless you pay to have the old one tested then there is little you can do.

Its not correct to jam the o/h stat as its a safety device. It needs to be replaced or the cause of overheating solved.

Tony

I've done some more investigation and it sounds like the pump might be on its way out - the water getting to the tap is warm rather than hot - does this seem plausible and if so how much is this part and how much fitting etc?

Thanks.

Not likely to be pump.

Many other possibilities including gas settings.

Needs diagnosis by competent engineer.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I've already had a so-called competent engineer out and he's failed to fix it although he has relieved me of £300 for the pleasure.

Now I am concerned the part he replaced wasn't faulty at all, telling me to tape over the trip switch doesn't instill a great deal of confidence!

My neighbour knows people in the trade so I'll ask his advice when he returns from work.

He sounds to me like an incompetent cowboy!

Most gas valves that I change come to a total bill of about £230.

Tony

Yeah, I got him as he's on the "Gas Safe Register" - does that not stand for anything?

I shall be complaining about him to them if subsequent investigations warrant it.

All it proves is that he has demonstrated that he is safe to work with gas.

It has no implication to his competence at fault finding or the reasonableness of his charges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back