Worcester Bosch 9.24 Electronic - combustion panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We have a Worcester Bosch 9.24 Electronic which, as I found out today, is 15 years old :eek: (the previous owners did not give us any info on the boiler even though we'd asked) :rolleyes:

Just had the yearly safety inspection on the boiler and it's been noted that the combustion panel has cracked and the boiler has now been marked at risk. British Gas are searching to see if the part is available but the engineer said he had a feeling it has probably been discontinued. :(

So I'm currently waiting to hear if the part is available (or not).

If the part is not available then it's a new boiler for us!

Any recommendations on a boiler and where we could get the best deal?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Don't think you would go far wrong if you opted for another Worcester, go for a 28 though and Cdi if you can afford it.

There a many other makes that are as good or better, but you need to decide a budget first.

Hi Don't worry they are not obsolete just need to be specially ordered

Whilst we may be able to get the parts, British gas seem to have alternative suppliers who cease supplies when the boiler is 10 years old.

To set your mind at rest, find out the part number and call Parts Centre which might still be called HRPC in your phone book. They might surprisingly have it listed and be able to order it.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Whilst we may be able to get the parts, British gas seem to have alternative suppliers who cease supplies when the boiler is 10 years old.

To set your mind at rest, find out the part number and call Parts Centre which might still be called HRPC in your phone book. They might surprisingly have it listed and be able to order it.

Tony Glazier

Hi Tony British Gas have a national parts center in Leicester which is supplied directly from the manufacturers and if it isn't held in stock they use 3 other suppliers one of which is HRPC.

15 year old combi sounds a bit old, if you end up with a new boiler get quotes from other firms and maybe have a look at Baxi Platinum, comes with 5 years gaurantee, gonna start looking at these myself for my customers, 5 years aint to be sniffed at

What I would do in your shoes depends on whether BG are obligated under service contract to fix this problem for you. If they are and they can riggle out of it by saying part is obsolete, then procure one yourself with new seals so they can't give any excuses, present it to them and say there you go I've solved your problems.

I say this because the labour charge is quite a lot, and the disturbance to other parts is quite risky.

If you have to pay BG to do the job, I would get quotes from independents. Many people won't want to do a largish job on your boiler.

I don't think worcester themselves touch anything over 10 years old, least that's what my local man said to me.

Definately try and make bg fix it, if they are so keen to take all the service work awayt from us independents let them pay for it!

I had an example of BG failing to get an air flow sensor for a Lynx.

As a temporary measure I fixed it with a second hand part I had in stock to use just for that purpose.

HRPC said they were obsolete! T & T had them in stock and I bought one.

The impression I get is that if a boiler is over 10 years old like the Sine 18 then BG just say the parts are not available and it needs to be changed.

I was contacted for advice by someone with a SEVEN year old boiler who had received a letter from BG which suggested they should have a new condensing boiler "because parts may no longer be available for their boiler". I was able to reasure them that their boiler was well supported and if BG could not fix it then we could!

Tony Glazier

9.24 electronic balanced flue and open flue:

insulation board side man.no. 8-716-142-281-0
Rear 8-716-142-280-0
Front 8-716-142-279-0

9.24 electronic fan flue:

Front and rear panel 8-716-100-471-0
insulation sides 8-716-142-275-0
insultion rear 8-716-142-273-0

Would guess that yours is the electronic fan flue as these parts are special order. This parts availability makes me laugh....the fact is as soon as the manufacturer stops supplying it it becomes a special order and a company like BG then uses one of its alternative suppliers. If none of those 3 have it then to BG it is obsolete. If you find your own the company will fit it for you under the contract. I know a couple of guys with brand new parts in the shed for boilers over 40 years old, but that doesn't really mean that the parts are still available.

British Gas have just informed me that the part is unavailable :cry:
Is this correct?
Is there anywhere I can call to get this part specially ordered?
They are sending someone to quote for a new boiler on Monday

Have been reading the postings. Have also lost instructions for Worcester Electronic 9.24 Combi boiler. Is it possible for someone to email these to me?

Thank you
Susan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back