Worcester Bosch 230 needs expansion vessel ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

got a problem where the pressure kept dropping on dial. Topping-up, the needle rose very quickly. Had a guy drain the expansion vessel and recharge it to 1bar, but a few days later, it's back down to almost zero. There are no drips from the release pipe outside.

I measured the vessel and it says 4 PSI. Do I need a new one? Is it easy for a DIY-er to do? Any advice appreciated as I can't get in touch with the guy over the holiday.

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
Very unfortunately and its embarassing, but few gas engineers actually know how to repressurise an EXV.

See the FAQ on this site and do it yourself. All you need is a foot pump!

Then set the pressure in the water to 1.5 Bar and put a bottle or condom over the PRV vent and see if any water is discharged over a 24 hour period.

Be aware your boiler is getting a bit long in the tooth!

Tony

Thanks for prompt replies,

I don't know about the idea of an external tank, there seems to be decent access to it inside if it just needs replacing.

Forgive me, but I thought that if it's filled with water only a few days after being drained, it meant the diaphragm's gone inside? It seems a bit mad to just drain and recharge it again, or am I missing the point? Is it that it wouldn't matter if I change the tank because if the PRV is leaking, it'll just fill up the new one?

Thanks for advice,

Pete

Sponsored Links
The point that you are missing is that there is no guarantee that the engineer correctly repressurised the EXV.

There could be other faults which might become apparent when you follow my request!

Tony

If it is not holding the charge, it could also be a faulty schrader valve, (same as car tyre) 5 minute job to replace.

Thank you for the above good advice.

I had the same problen with my parent's boiler.

I repressurised the expansion tank according to the FAQ, It took me a few goes for it to remain stable, as each time I let water in again it altered the pressure in the bar gauge.

I found the the gas engineer did not repressurise the expansion tank when we asked him to fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back