Worcester Bosch 230 no HW but CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a Worcester Bosch 230 which has been getting progressively worse at detecting demand for HW and "kicking in" (needing the hot tap turning on more and more), and now it seems to have finally stopped detecting demand altogether.

CH is working absolutely fine, and if the CH is turned on we can get HW from the taps but without CH, turning on a hot tap just runs cold. In neither case does the green demand light flick on. Flow through one hot tap seems good, but turning two on at the same time really effects things (turn HW tap on in kitchen, nice flow, go and turn HW tap on in bathroom at the same time, kitchen flow becomes very low)

All my googling and forum reading suggests this is the diverter valve or diaphragm. However we had a Plumber come and look at it, who didn't take the cover off or do any real investigation other than turn a hot tap on to confirm it wasn't working and he said it was down to the heat exchanger that was scaled up and needed replacing based on the fact the problem has been getting progressively worse. He's gone away to work out a quote, but this is feeling very suspicious.

I'm actually renting, and it will be the Landlord that has to pay any repair bill so I have no real invested financial interest, but I would be interested to hear what you think of the Plumber's diagnosis, and how likely this is (considering no physical inspection of the boiler was really performed).

Thank you all
Chris

Sponsored Links
Your plumber is a numpty. Diagnosing without taking the case off is a skill lost on me!!! The first place to start is the diverter valve and see if the pin moves out to make the switches when a tap is opened. Likely fault is a worn diaphragm if this doesn't happen and is simple to repair.

Your plumber is a numpty. Diagnosing without taking the case off is a skill lost on me!!! The first place to start is the diverter valve and see if the pin moves out to make the switches when a tap is opened. Likely fault is a worn diaphragm if this doesn't happen and is simple to repair.

Diverter valve, this boiler is the cheaper version of the 240, its approx 18 years old, basic combi

Sponsored Links
as 45years gas man has said its most probably the diaphragm an easy repair but your boiler is only designed to run one outlet at a time so sorting the problem wont make it able to run more than one tap at the same time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back