Worcester Bosch 37CDi upgrade ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 12-year old Worcester Bosch 37 CDi. The house has been extended (loft extension) a few years ago and it now has 7 double rads and 9 single rads all together. I've been told this is quite a lot for that boiler. We don't use much hot water because we have an electric shower and kitchen hot tap. We just have a bath/shower powered by gas that gets used about once or twice a week in winter.

It has served me well. The pump and expansion vessel were replaced last year and a few other bits.

I am being bombarded by advertising from British Gas and others saying that I should get a new boiler and save "£840 per year". I hear a lot about how new boilers are much more economical/efficient. If so, and given the age of the boiler and the above info, Is it worth upgrading ?

According to
it is already an efficient boiler, but I wonder due to the age and the number of rads we have if this might affect things adversely.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Nope, your boiler has an input of 37Kw, so you would need ~ 18 - 600x1000 double panel/double convector radiators to begin to reach the limit of that box. Not knowing the size of the rads then cant gauge where the demand sits for the system at the moment but I wouldn't think it's up at the boilers max quite yet.

As far as efficiency is concerned then that boiler is condensing so it's up at the 90+% levels so a new boiler wouldn't be much higher than that. That and the boiler itself id ok as long as it's been serviced properly and the HEX cleaned out etc and the system is nice and clean. I don't know where they get the £840 savings a year figure from, you wouldn't save anywhere near that just with the slightly higher efficiency of a new boiler.

Given it's age it might be an idea to look at a care package to safeguard against any major failures but there is always the option of a fixed price repair should anything major fail.

I don't know where they get the £840 savings a year figure from, you wouldn't save anywhere near that just with the slightly higher efficiency of a new boiler.

Buried in the small print :mad:

Saving when upgrading from a G-rated boiler to an A-rated boiler in a detached home using the average energy bill for a high usage house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back