Worcester Bosch 42CDi or Slimline Gledhill unvented cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. New to the forums. Hope you can help. I have to replace an old gravity-fed system in my house (a big 4 bed, with 2 bathrooms containing 2 baths and 2 showers). Currently approx 18-20litres/min flow rate, but with old lead pipes being replaced may go up slightly.
I'd been going to replace the current Vaillant 25kw system boiler with a Worcester 42CDi combi, then thought I should go the unvented route, keeping the old boiler, which will apparently do the job.
Unfortunately my airing cupboard won't fit a Megaflow 250 unvented cylinder, which is what my (very helpful and patient) plumber recommends. It will fit a 210 litre Gledhill slimline unvented cylinder (475mm diameter).
Gledhill don't seem to get much love on plumbing forums, and my plumber isn't much of a fan. Also slightly worried the cylinder will be undersized. The only way I can get a Megaflow in is to move a wall in my bathroom.
So... am I back to square one? If a Worcester 42CDi can run two showers at once, then I'd be fairly happy, and would certainly prefer not to have something else in my house that can go wrong, and which needs an annual service.
Or should I persevere with Gledhill? Are they any good? Or should I just spend another grand and knock the wall down? All expertise gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Can't see why you would want to remove a perfectly good boiler and replace it with a combi. 2 showers from a combi can work, but the performance will be far less than from a cylinder. It also means that when the boiler breaks, you have no showers or hot water anywhere until it's repaired.

If a Gledhill is not wanted, then other cyllinder manufacturers are available.
OSO Slimline RI or a Range Tribune Slimilne for example.

Any of those are not likely to be a problem regarding capacity - even for 2 showers 210 litres of hot water is a substantial amount, and also remember that the shower doesn't actually use 100% hot water because a considerable amount of cold water will be blended in at the valve.
You can also be reheating the cylinder while using it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back