Worcester Bosch CDi Series Boiler Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

as the title suggests I have a problem with my boiler.
after turning it on for the first time (for heating) since April or May I discovered a light whistling sound coming from the unit. over the past few days the sound has got louder to become a very noticeable whine.
This evening it cut out on me while having a shower. I went to the boiler to investigate and on the panel the tap icon was flashing really fast.

After searching the web I found the product booklet for my boiler and the fault sounds like it could be this:

"AIR FLOW DEVICE (RSF ONLY)
The appliance will enter a lockout condition in the event of an air flow fault.
If the controls fail to detect the correct air flow through the appliance the electricity supply to the gas valve will be interrupted.
If an air flow fault has occurred, the domestic water demand indicator will flash (approximately five times per second).
The appliance will try to re-light after a waiting period of approximately 4 minutes Check that the flue terminal has not been obstructed or damaged. If this condition continues to occur, then call a service engineer.
FLUE SPILLAGE DEVICE (OF ONLY)
The appliance is fitted with a device which detects the spillage of combustion products from the draught diverter. In the event of the flue becoming wholly or partly blocked this device will cut the gas supply to the burner. If the device has activated, the D.H.W. demand indicator will flash (approximately 5 times per second).
The device automatically resets after a waiting period of approxi- mately 20 minutes. If the blockage remains the appliance will re-light briefly before the device operates again. Should the problem persist consult your service engineer."

So, what does all this mean? How do I go about sorting this out?
Is it an easy job (for a qualified engineer? - I doubt I would tackle this)

Cheers guys.
R
[/i]

Sponsored Links
This is a fault of the nature that a gas registered engineer is required.

BG do a fixed price repair at about £180 or you could try a good independent who would charge rather less if expensive parts are not required.

Tony

Thanks guys, so it sounds like it needs a service / clean / oiling etc..
Rather than a replacement part?

okay, i'll call the boiler man tomorrow.

Thanks again.
R

Sponsored Links
By the way, the manual says it resets after 5 / 20 minutes. Mine won't reset.
I even turn the power off completely and then back on again .... wait for 20 minutes or so, then turn on a tap... Still nothing. The boiler just won't fire.!

No its not suitable for self fit.
You need to use a Gas Safe engineer.
This is because of safety related issues with the replacement part and its location within the boiler.

Thanks, but am I allowed to do it myself if it is my own boiler? If I get a Gas Safe engineer in how much will this job cost me (excluding the part)?

We do not advise that as a DIY job.

But more important I am not convinced that the fan is the problem.

Let the engineer diagnose the fault rather than you wasting your money on a new fan that may not be required.

We charge a diagnostic fee of £84 in our local area plus parts. Others have different charges.

Tony

If it is the fan then expect to pay about £150 to diagnose and repair.

Maybe Londonboy maybe not!
I'm not a gambling man and I hope the OP isnt a gambler either!
Either way I will sleep just fine..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back