Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior cuts out w/ reset button flashing red

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So this morning I was having a shower and suddenly my hot water went completely cold. I jumped out and had a look at my boiler. I noticed that the burner had stopped and the reset button was flashing red. The blue oval shaped light in the middle was on and rock solid. I reset the boiler and went back into the shower only for the same thing to happen again 15 minutes later.

This has never happened before and I am concerned. I have contacted Bosch and they have no idea what could be wrong and have attributed it to an unknown fault. They told me that the blue oval light usually changes to indicate the type of fault.

My boiler's blue light has not changed. It simply cuts out and the reset button flashes red until I reset it.
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Happy to provide more info if required.

Sponsored Links
Probably PCB on its way out, they are very poor boilers , get a Worcester fixed price repair, is about £270 but they will guarentee it for a year

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Probably PCB on its way out, they are very poor boilers , get a Worcester fixed price repair, is about £270 but they will guarentee it for a year
Hi thanks for the reply.
I've got a Worcester fixed price repair scheduled for Monday. It will cost me £315. Based on the nature of the fault, do you think it is safe to use until then? (I can get some intermittent use out of it.)

Hi thanks for reply.
I've got a Worcester fixed price repair scheduled for Monday. It will cost me £315. Based on the nature of the fault, do you think it is safe to use until then? (I can get some intermittent use out of it.)
They have so many in built safety devices you wont do it any harm using it, will just keep cutting out, you have done the right thing, Worcester engineers are on a bonus and will change everything for the FPR you will end up with a virtually new boiler , they lose their bonus if there is a recall

Sponsored Links
They have so many in built safety devices you wont do it any harm using it, will just keep cutting out, you have done the right thing, Worcester engineers are on a bonus and will change everything for the FPR you will end up with a virtually new boiler , they lose their bonus if there is a recall

Many thanks for the reply. I feel a lot more reassured about using it. It's also good to know that going with the FPR is the right thing to do.

The one thing that Worcester have is a second to none after sales service
That's good to hear. Just out of interest, based on the way the bonus works for WB engineers, I'm guessing it would be highly unusual for the engineer to only replace one part on the day (e.g. the PCB).
The boiler is 11 years old and this is the first major fault I've encountered, so if WB engineers do indeed tend to change almost everything then that would be a good way of extending the boiler's lifespan.

If for some reason the engineer only replaces the component causing the fault, do you think it's worth asking him if it's possible to replace any other parts that are wearing down? Or should I just leave it up to him?

Last edited:
That's good to hear. Just out of interest, based on the way the bonus works for WB engineers, I'm guessing it would be highly unusual for the engineer to only replace one part on the day (e.g. the PCB).
The boiler is 11 years old and this is the first major fault I've encountered, so if WB engineers do indeed tend to change almost everything then that would be a good way of extending the boiler's lifespan.

If for some reason the engineer only replaces the component causing the fault, do you think it's worth asking him if it's possible to replace any other parts that are wearing down? Or should I just leave it up to him?
they will change anything that is likely to cause a recall so it doesnt affect their bonus, they get the parts for pennies it costs the company money if there is a recall

No, don't try to tell them how to do their job, that will just annoy them. Also, you should be keeping your distance at the moment because of COVID. Best thing to do is go and sit yourself in another room, or go tend to the garden if you have one. They know how to do their job and will do whatever they deem necessary.

they will change anything that is likely to cause a recall so it doesnt affect their bonus, they get the parts for pennies it costs the company money if there is a recall
I see. That makes things clearer.

No, don't try to tell them how to do their job, that will just annoy them. Also, you should be keeping your distance at the moment because of COVID. Best thing to do is go and sit yourself in another room, or go tend to the garden if you have one. They know how to do their job and will do whatever they deem necessary.
Yeah, you're right. Best thing to do is to leave them to it. Hopefully I can get it fixed on the day.

Edit: I just realised I didn't mention the pressure drops that I've been having for the last several years. I have to top the boiler up every two months. I've heard that I should only need to do it once a year.
Do you think I should phone WB back up and mention it?

Last edited:
Cracking boiler these . It wouldn’t hurt to ring up worcester to inform them but the guys do carry a lot of spares on the van

Just thought I'd update the thread. So it cut out again today and I decided to video it on my phone so I have evidence of the fault occuring.

I noticed that along with the red flashing reset button, the blue oval shaped status indicator light was also flashing slowly.

I was convinced that this light was stable the last time it cut out (it's really hard to see it as my boiler is right next to a window), but I can confirm that blue light flashes slowly along with flashing red reset button. The green burner light remains off.

When I reset the boiler, the flashing lights disappear and everything works normally for a while (I get hot water) until it cuts out again.

I've updated Worcester Bosch with the symptoms.

Just thought I'd update the thread. So it cut out again today and I decided to video it on my phone so I have evidence of the fault occuring.

I noticed that along with the red flashing reset button, the blue oval shaped status indicator light was also flashing slowly.

I was convinced that this light was stable the last time it cut out (it's really hard to see it as my boiler is right next to a window), but I can confirm that blue light flashes slowly along with flashing red reset button. The green burner light remains off.

When I reset the boiler, the flashing lights disappear and everything works normally for a while (I get hot water) until it cuts out again.

I've updated Worcester Bosch with the symptoms.

A bit of a while now since you last posted but was wondering if you could share the outcome?

I'm having the exact issue with my WB boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back