Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24Ri boiler ripples?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24Ri boiler and I have got ripples on the heat exchanger, please see the photo.
What causes these ripples to form and does it affect the operation of the boiler?
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
You need a new heat exchanger. I'm afraid I don't know much more about this, it's a familiar Worcester fault though. Give them a ring. If they do a fixed price repair I'd go for that.

Indeed,. dirty system and a cooked heat exchanger.

WB should change it once under warranty. But the will take water samples and you WILL need to get the system cleaned if you want any more warranty work from them.

Which is fair enough.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
The boiler was manufactured in May 2005 and I am not the first owner and have no paperwork relating to the purchase at all.
Will this still be covered under warranty?

they will know when it was manufactured from the "fd" no in the serial no. they also know that most are fitted within 3 months of manufacture. the boiler was probably registered with them by the installer so, either way they will know what year it was fitted.

as dan said you will have to address the sludge situation through an independant heating engineer

I think fixed price call out is about £270 and to buy the heat cell is lots more go for the fixed price but they wont guarentee it without you getting the system water sorted and it will ripple again if you dont

hi, does your boiler preform ok with these ripples,is there any excessive noise,boiler cutting out and needing resetting or anything else.

thank you.

As I have been told that the fan in the boiler is also dead, I have taken out a £25 per month service plan with Worcester Bosch so I should get all the faulty parts replaced for a fixed price.

kind of put me off buying worcester equipment unless these ripples are normal and the boiler can work correctly with ripples.

i have seen boiler parts like these in a corner of a scrap metal merchants where i visit regular.
maybe i will ask them to cut one open on their metal saw and see what is inside.

hi dan-robinson thank you for reply.

so please tell me what aspect of poor installation cause the ripples.

thank you.

its caused by overheating so either not flushed properly or not set up properly its a common fault with this heat cell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back