Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDI...Good Choice???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just having one installed, all feedback good or bad appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't think you will go far wrong with this boiler as long as with all boilers your installer installs it properly and flushes the system fully afterwards.

If your installer is a registered Worcester installer you should get a 5 year warranty from him.

And these comments come from a Vaillant installer who won't fit Worcester :eek: :LOL:

Have just signed up so am passing on my experience with this boiler.

Despite this boiler being recommended by"Which" my opinion is not a positive one.

The boiler has developed a fault despite being only two years old. The fault is one of those annoyingly intermittent ones where the burner turns itself off before the water reaches the correct temperature.

After having endured this for some time I have found that by standing in front of the boiler and pushing the reset button when it turns itself off it will fire up again. After a couple of minutes it turns itself off again and I have to stand there and go through the whole process once more. This routine lasts ten or fifteen minutes until the temperature reaches its maximum of 88. (I am quite a patient person especially when my wife is giving me ear ache).

Oddly when the burner ignites the temperature goes down by two or three degrees and when the burner goes off it rises by three or four degrees until I press the reset button the ignition goes on and the temperature drops again. As it is dropping by two or three degrees with the burner ON and rising by three or four degrees with the burner OFF the temperature eventually rises.

I have had many boilers in my life, old and new but this is definitely the worst. The manufacturers even appear to be unable to design a simple clip that will hold the access control panel into place, which drops open frequently without any cause.

If your thinking of buying a Worcester Bosch Boiler, my recommendation is don't. It might have a German name but it definitely ain't German engineering. Surely designing a reliable Gas boiler shouldn't be rocket science, it must have been done before without recurring problems.

If there's anyone out there who can help with any useful suggestions or similar experience I should be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
The Worcester Bosch 40CDi is a German boiler, it is made by Bosch Junkers and rebadged for the UK.

As a volume installer, I can tell you that this is amongst the most reliable boilers you can buy.

Your posting is somewhat vague, I've read it twice and I'm still not sure whether your complaint involves the boiler failing to light at all and you needing to intervene, or you wanting it to force it up to the set temperature because it shuts down before it gets there.

If it is the latter, there are reasons why boiler manufacturers turn the burner off a few degrees bofore the set temperature, and in a boiler with an aluminium heat exchanger like the Bosch this is more relevant.

Giving advice to potential purchasers is all well and good, but I would suggest any potential Bosch customers to step back and wonder if the 'fault' is actually a misunderstanding on the part of the owner. In which case his post and advice are totally unfair. Your call.

If Gripsfive wishes to check his theories out, the manufacturer is open until 8pm tonight. If he had his Worcester boiler installed by an accredited person, he still has at least 5 yrs warranty left too, in the unlikely event that it is faulty.

maybe the OP could write a review. as this post is nearly 6 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back