Worcester Bosch Hiflow 400 No Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler appears to be working okay (in HW mode) but not in CH mode. I have no flashing lights to suggest a fault, but the CH does not come on when the remote thermostat demands it. I noticed that the CH temperature control knob on the boiler turns continuously though. Also, I did manage to get the CH to come on at one point (not sure what I did though to achieve this) but after turning the CH control knob down the CH failed again - it was then that I noticed that the knob continued to turn. Could it be that the knob is broken or could it be that whatever the knob is controling (some kind of thermostat?) is broken? Help!!!

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the boiler is getting a demand from the external controls?

Pull the knob off and you will see the spindle for the thermostat behind it. you will then be able to turn it with a pair of pliers. I doubt that is the fault though.

hi mate, do you no how old your boiler is as there are 3 different models of highflow 400? are your temperature controls on the left or right hand side of the control panel?

A common cause of no CH is a non working diverter valve on your model.

However, at this time of year a lack of demand is the most common cause of no CH which we encounter.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, thanks for your replies - I work away so I don't always get chance to log on - thank heavens it's still mild weather!
The controls are on the right hand side, the boiler is about 5 years old.
I can't guarantee that the roomstat (wireless) is talking to the boiler but when I alter the temperature settings so that the demand is there the lights on the receiver on the boiler do respond.
The odd thing is I did manage to get the CH to work by fiddling with the roomstat - forcing it to demand CH and not demand - but then it stopped again when I fiddled with the dodgy temperature control switch on the boiler - and I couldn't get it to work again. So, as I mentioned earlier, I'm uncertain as to where to start to try to address it. I did have a British Gas guy out to it and he said that he needed to be at the back of it to test it - so he cleared off again as it's tricky to get to the back of - yet all the control boards appeared to be at the front so I'm not sure if he was fobbing me off as I have a basic careplan with them.

A common cause of no CH is a non working diverter valve on your model.

However, at this time of year a lack of demand is the most common cause of no CH which we encounter.

Tony

please explain! how many div valves have you changed on this model ??

the op tells you there is a prob with the stat....and a clue that he has a remote stat....and you talk div valve ! amazing!

i work on these all the time, fitted hundreds, fixed hundreds...i have changed a handfull of div valves!

The way a forum is meant to work is that the OP asks a question and everyone else addresses him and tries to answer what he has asked.

It is not intended for others to start their own discussions ( or perhaps arguments in your case ).

Tony

The way a forum is meant to work is that the OP asks a question and everyone else addresses him and tries to answer what he has asked.

It is not intended for others to start their own discussions ( or perhaps arguments in your case ).

Tony

Actually it is intended for both. If anyone has started giving rubbish advice they should be pulled up for it and corrected as necessary. You regularly give utter ****e for advice. Boilerdoktor has some dubious claims and an unknown history but gives some reasonable advice at least.

The bullshit-o-meter puts you firmly at 10 and him around 5. :mrgreen:

Your ability to jump to conclusions is legendary. Feck knows how many processes you ignored before going straight for the DV. A four year old with a pin and a picture of a donkey has more chance.

I fully expect this to be your last post on the issue, as always.

Tony

Actually it is intended for both. If anyone has started giving rubbish advice they should be pulled up for it and corrected as necessary. You regularly give utter s***te for advice. Boilerdoktor has some dubious claims and an unknown history but gives some reasonable advice at least.

The bulls**t-o-meter puts you firmly at 10 and him around 5. :mrgreen:

Your ability to jump to conclusions is legendary. f**k knows how many processes you ignored before going straight for the DV. A four year old with a pin and a picture of a donkey has more chance.

hi nicso..agreed in principal re agile, please can you explain your comments re me ..thanks in advance ! have i ever bulled on here?? i always try and give sound advice !

Tony

Actually it is intended for both. If anyone has started giving rubbish advice they should be pulled up for it and corrected as necessary. You regularly give utter s***te for advice.

Your ability to jump to conclusions is legendary. f**k knows how many processes you ignored before going straight for the DV. A four year old with a pin and a picture of a donkey has more chance.

:eek: ............................. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

hi nicso..agreed in principal re agile, please can you explain your comments re me ..thanks in advance ! have i ever bulled on here?? i always try and give sound advice !

I seem to remember you have had a few moments of stupidity and dished out some abuse. I can't really comment on that though can I. :LOL:

At least you seem to know your Worcesters pretty well, unlike glazier who probably still thinks mains water can pass from the diaphragm section to the heating section along the spindle on a CDi. :LOL:

The last five posts add nothing to an answer for the OP !

Tony

Nickso, I note in an old posting you even say yourself that the diverter is often at fault!

your low system pressure could well have been the only reason the boiler overheated and that small drip could well be the only leak, you often dont need vast quantities of water to escape to lose a chunk of pressure. im willing to bet now that you have opened the PRV its going to drip too though.

the diverter is able to be dismantled and the innards cleaned which is often the only thing wrong with them but its more often the small pipe that leads to the pump that is blocked and doesnt allow the pump flow to move the diverter to one position or another.

the best people to deal with these beasts really are worcester themselves, they have all the bits in the van and i dont believe the price will be vastly different. they will certainly know a lot more about it that joe plumber will and have far more chance of fixing it first time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back