Worcester Bosch Not Firing Up Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would guess it's likely I need to call out an engineer but I thought I would ask in case there's anything obvious or simple that I've missed or simply not tried.

Just for a bit of background: recently my boiler (which I believe is a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i) had been making bubbling noises and whistling noises would not stay active for longer than a minute. My landlord called out an engineer (I was at work when the engineer visited) who serviced the boiler and advised that the filter needed cleaning. This was done and when I got back from work, the hot water was working and everything seemed fine. I didn't check the heating as the weather was red hot.

A couple of weeks have passed. The hot water is still working fine; however, I've tried to turn the heating on and the boiler just doesn't even seem to be registering that I've tried to turn it on. The green light with the flame symbol is not on either.

In addition, I have tried to reset it. Looking online, what I've found is that boilers usually take about 5-10 minutes to do a full reset. When I reset the boiler, it makes a short mechanical sound (almost like the sound of a HDD being read but louder), the Eco, Service and Reset lights all flash their respective colours and the blue power light stays on solidly; however, there is nothing else afterwards, the boiler does not sound like it's actually doing anything.

This is a completely different issue than what we had prior to the engineer's visit and as far as I'm aware it has only happened since the visit. Previously, the boiler fired up with no problems, it just wouldn't stay on and provided obvious fault signs such as flashing lights and the unusual sounds. Now it just doesn't seem to be firing up for hot water.

So, I suppose I have two questions:

1. Is there anything else I can check prior to calling an engineer?
  2. Given the nature of the faults prior and following the engineer's visit, is it possible that the engineer has done something to damage the boiler? If so, would we be liable to pay for the damage and is would we have to prove liability?
Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I doubt the engineer has damaged the boiler, may have forgotten to open valves,but would usually still fire up. What controls do you have?

...The hot water is still working fine; however, I've tried to turn the heating on and the boiler just doesn't even seem to be registering that I've tried to turn it on.
Now it just doesn't seem to be firing up for hot water

Is it hot water or heating, or both, which are the problem? Also, is it the combi version (does the boiler fire up when you open a hot tap)?

Sponsored Links
I doubt the engineer has damaged the boiler, may have forgotten to open valves,but would usually still fire up. What controls do you have?

So, I Googled "boiler controls" and found a load of thermostats. Looked at mine and it appears the batteries were dead. Changed the batteries and resent the signal, it's now working. I had absolutely no idea that a wireless thermostat in another room would stop a boiler from starting. Thank you for your time anyway guys, I appreciate it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back