Worcester Bosch R 40 HE blowing fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As subject, our R40HE is blowing its supply fuse.

Plumber checked over the condensate system in case of blockage or leakage was leading to overflow, nothing evident, he did witness it blow again, during running, and it was very sudden, no fault before or such.

I know this is the worst type of fault, and not straight forward, but any experience or tales of similar would help greatly!

Looking at a very expensive time one way or the other, otherwise...

Sponsored Links
It would suggest to me something is blowing the fuse in sequence/operation. It’s a case of fault finding. I work mainly on Vaillants, and the one thing that tends to blow a fuse in the fcu is a pump.

Dump the plumber...condensate unlikely to blow the fuse. Get a proper boiler repairer to check the diverter valve actuator and pump for a start.

I was of the same opinion, seems like there is a but more sensible troubleshooting to do before writing it off?

Anyone in Swansea or near enough got a recommendation?

Andy

Sponsored Links
It would suggest to me something is blowing the fuse in sequence/operation. It’s a case of fault finding. I work mainly on Vaillants, and the one thing that tends to blow a fuse in the fcu is a pump.

Since I am an engineer this also struck me as most likely, since its the highest current draw in the combi I would have thought?

Check the terminal box on the pump for water ingress and run it from a flylead with a 3 amp fuse.
The diverter actuator just unclips...it can be prised apart to check for water ingress (have a look at the pin inside the diverter valve...check for a leak).

Check the terminal box on the pump for water ingress and run it from a flylead with a 3 amp fuse.
The diverter actuator just unclips...it can be prised apart to check for water ingress (have a look at the pin inside the diverter valve...check for a leak).

On what I think is diverter or three way valve :
20190504_114100.jpg

Evidence of Liquid exiting an electrical actuator seems like we might have a leak in that valve body somewhere?

Yes it looks like the valve has leaked evident by the scale but it looks like that's a 24v AC motor head which is very unusual so I wouldn't think it would cause the fuse spur/plugtop 3 amp fuse to blow. A waterlogged 240v AC motor head will always cause problems if waterlogged.
Pop the retaining clip out and have a look.
Check the pump and consider wiring from a separate cable fuse at 3 amp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back