Worcester Bosch R28 HE Flashing EA Error

Good news – issue resolved. Events leading up to resolution.

w/c 27/11/23 was a particularly cold week and needed to keep the heating on during the day. Boiler flashed ‘EA’ every morning around 7:30am and despite me repeatedly re-setting, would keep flashing ‘EA’. I’d re-try this throughout the day. During the course of the week I logged the fact that the boiler would work perfectly from around 6-7pm each evening till the next morning till around 7:30am.

BG arrived on 01/12 and I explained that the boiler worked flawlessly at the weekends (6 consecutive weekends) and evenings. It was flashing ‘EA’ when he arrived at 8:00am. He ran all his tests, checked connections to ignition, condensing pipe, flue, took readings, checked tolerances, tweaked the gas value mixture. Still no joy. Boiler still showed ‘EA’. A 2nd engineer arrived, more experienced and between them they thought they’d resolved the issue with the help of WB tech support, but alas it still flashed ‘EA’ after repeated attempts to fire. Concluded that the gas value was at fault and possibly the PCB too (i'd mentioned this, but not sure they believed me); and arranged for one or both to be fitted the next day. When they left at around 11:00am, the boiler was still showing ‘EA’. That evening, around 6:00pm, it was working fine again after I re-set it.

Next day, Sat 02/12, boiler was working fine when the engineer arrived as it was a weekend. Chap changed the gas value and also the PCB. He'd read the notes and spoken to the engineer from the day before. Took less than ½ hr. Since then, boiler has been working perfectly all week and no ‘EA’ fault to date. In the 25 or so years since I've been with BG, seen many engineers - like any trade, some engineers are not as knowledgeble or as thorough as others. The last 3 (Mike/Gavin/Steve) were excellent.

Make of it what you will, but given there was a regular pattern for when the ‘EA’ fault was being triggered/not triggered, the issue in my case was the PCB.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Make of it what you will, but given there was a regular pattern for when the ‘EA’ fault was being triggered/not triggered, the issue in my case was the PCB.
Could it not have been the gas valve instead or as well as the pcb, given both were changed?

Had there not been a consistent pattern for when the EA fault appeared or did not appear, I would say it's the gas valve at fault per the advice on this chat, other forums and given the other probable causes were checked. Had replacing the gas valve & PCB not fixed the issue, only thing left would have been to replace the broken flue; however would have gone for a new boiler tbh.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back