Worcester cd24i dropping pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester 24cdi that is very old and is constantly losing pressure. I just need to get through this winter with it and then get a new one.
For a while now it loses pressure whether it’s running or not, don’t think I have any leaky pipe work. It constantly needs topping up every day but even when topping up the pressure gauge doesn’t move so I have to listen to the water filling up the system to guess when it’s at the right pressure. Although when it fires up and running the gauge then operates. Occasionally my wife tops it up but on a couple of occasions she has not closed the valve properly so I thing the pressure relief valve has operated(thank god I’m not on a water meter!)
Anyway any help appreciated. After reading a couple of similar posts I think I’m looking at maybe the expansion vessel and/or the pressure relief valve.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tie a Plastic bag around the prv pipe outside the property. If the prv is passing water it will collect in the bag.
If no water there ,your heat exchanger could be perforated and the water will be evacuated through the condensate pipework.
If you have any central heating pipework below floor level in a void ,any leakage from pipework would likely not be apparent.

Thanks Terryplumb. I think the pipe on the pressure relief valve comes out of the soffits over the side extension so very awkward to reach. Don’t think it has a condensate pipe it’s that old! I thought about the pipe work under the ground floor but really don’t want to disturb any flooring on the ground floor as it is only 12 months old . Is there any other way of determining a leak on the ground floor?

Sponsored Links
As per @Madrab, might be worth getting an engineer in, Ive had a couple recently on Worcester’s where the communication pipe leading to the expansion vessel is blocked, also sounds like your gauge could be partially blocked. Does sound like an expansion issue, however you may have a leak on your radiator/heating system somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back