Worcester Econaheat Heatslave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked for help before on this forum with my Worcester Econaheat Heatslave which was not starting up very reliably, ie. power getting through, fan operating but takes half an hour to actually spark (sometimes not at all). The advice I got was to check the fan or the air pressure switch which I was going to do. However, it mysteriously started to work again until this evening when it would not spark at all.

So I decided to make sure there was air being ducted out of the flue by putting my hand near (1-2") the flue outlet. It was working fine with cold air coming out but within a couple of seconds it then started to try to ignite which it did successfully.

I thought this must just be chance but apparently not. When the burner went out later on, I tried putting my hand in front of the flue again (NOT covering it) and this increase in back pressure obviously worked as again, the ignition sparked and lit the burner!!

Any help as to what I should get checked out is most appreciated.

GW

Sponsored Links
Get a corgi to clean the fan, air sensing tubes, venturi, and check the flue is put together properly with the correct restrictor, and that the air pressure switch is switching at the right pressure. Or putting it another way, get the thing serviced!

Thanks for that, I have........the fan stopped working this morning so today has so far involved a cold shower and contacting a plumber to service!

Ah so the fan may have been failing to shift enough air for the pressure switch, in its final days...?

Sponsored Links
Correct!! Just had a gas fitter out who drew the same conclusion as boilerbeasty and is going to try and get a replacement fan. (Albeit noting the age of the boiler he thought a replacement boiler would probably be the best option).
Thanks for all the info.
GW

I don't think 10 years is that old, if you've looked after it well and its not suffered any abuse. The fan will probably be about 100-150 quid for the part plus time to fit it, a lot cheaper than a whole new boiler (sucks air through teeth).

It is a bit older tan 10 years, 15+ was the reckoning by the gas fitter. But still I think I'll pay for the repair rather than replace the whole thing.
cheers
G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back