Worcester Greenstar 30cdi noise (with video)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

William here from Cumbria, originally from Essex, Chelmsford.

I moved in to a new house about 2 years ago which has a worcester greenstar 30cdi fitted. It's a 5 bed house so plenty powerful enough for the property.

Ever since we moved in the boiler which is in a cupboard in my sons room has made a whirling noise with some vibration when the central heating starts up, when it's in full flow it quietness down, but not silent.

Recently it's got much loader to a point it wakes everyone up on that side of the house, it seems to vibrate across the walls.

I have no idea what it could be so before I call out a plumber I wanted to share to the community a video. It's 5 minutes long but offers you the chance to hear boiler in action, the fittings, and how when I push the top with some force the vibration stops but the whiling inside continues.
The sound needs to turned up but it is loud.

I know and have heard other worcester greenstar 30cdi's in action and they make no noise whatsoever so clearly mine has a problem.

Here's the video which I'll keep live if you ever need to refer to it on other posts. It's 5 mins long.

Has anyone come across this problem before? I would love to hear how such a problem could be fixed/diagnosed. Or is the case that the boiler is old and needs replacing.

Hot water and heating works very well, and the boiler is about 7 years old.

Many thanks
William

Sponsored Links
Pump or fan ? will be obvious once the cover is off.

Firstly the noise sounds like pump or fan, you wont need to change both,
What you need to do is get a recommended RGI/engineer,
This will give you peace of mind a guarantee and you wont put yourself or your family in danger.
You wont need a new boiler.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back