WORCESTER GREENSTAR HIGHFLOW 440

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys
what are your thoughts on this Boiler,

anyone had any bad experiances!

would you buy or not!

is there anything else on the market that would do the same job for a large 4 bedroom house with 2 bathroom and 15 radiators

regards al

Sponsored Links
Although I personally cannot stand Worcester boilers, they are known to be very good. This one has a good reputation.

It is very large, about the size of a washing machine, but you probably know that already, but does give excellent HW performance until the store is depleted, then you have a basic low powered combi.

You could look at the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837, a lot higher advanced combi, or the Alpha CD50, I think it is called.

What ever you go for you need to know that your incoming cold mains pressure and flow rate are at least about 2 Bar and 20 l/min, otherwise you will be wasting your money.

Guys
anyone had any bad experiances!
regards al

Ive not had any good experiances with the old ones but ive yet to come across a new condensing one.
Doesnt seem to be something thats installed much round here.

Are you after an all in one unit or open to having a separate hw tank and boiler?

Gas4you
to be honest it was a boiler a friend suggested, purely on the basis of the 20 liters/min flow rate,
the water pressure is excellent where i live (Sutton Coldfield)

i have been looking for a new boiler for months, everyone i speak have their particular favourites, and just when you think you may have found one that looks to fit the bill someone else seems to have had a bad experiance,

At the moment im open to suggestions/recomendations

Sponsored Links
ALL depends on your hot water demand and your available space.

ChrisR
space isn't really an issue, im half way through a large extension (10,000 bricks) so new boiler will be situated in a 17'x6' utility,
when the extension is finished it will be a large four bed detached with 2 bathrooms,
al

Gas4you
to be honest it was a boiler a friend suggested, purely on the basis of the 20 liters/min flow rate,
the water pressure is excellent where i live (Sutton Coldfield)

i have been looking for a new boiler for months, everyone i speak have their particular favourites, and just when you think you may have found one that looks to fit the bill someone else seems to have had a bad experiance,

be aware that once the store is depleted you are not likely to get 20l/min from it. ive worked on a few of these now and they are a far better prospect than the old 400. far easier to work on and they use many of the components from other worcesters. worcester are making rubbish right now but this looks like it might be ok in the long run.

for every boiler you suggest someone will detest it as every boiler has its issues, big or small.

All manufacturers have boilers that go wrong and end up as horror stories somewhere :rolleyes:

As nickso says, once the store has depleted you will probably be down to around 10 l/m HW.

The 937 will still give 15.4 l/m even if the mixing store depletes. It works on a different principle to the 440, and is not a true storage combi.

All manufacturers have boilers that go wrong and end up as horror stories somewhere :rolleyes:

As nickso says, once the store has depleted you will probably be down to around 10 l/m HW.

The 937 will still give 15.4 l/m even if the mixing store depletes. It works on a different principle to the 440, and is not a true storage combi.

yeh but its still a vaillant dave :p :LOL:

Having space and room, I would recommend stored water (vented or unvented), with immersion back up, for when the inevitable happens.

Having space and room, I would recommend stored water (vented or unvented), with immersion back up, for when the inevitable happens.

or at least a leccy shower in one of the bathrooms.

If I install combi and customer has leccy shower, I recommend they keep it. Great beliver in back-up for when the inevitable occurs. Which is why have service plan on own boiler.

Guys
i never thought it would be so difficult to choose a new boiler,

regardless of what make of combi boiler i choose, it sounds like a good idea to have poss an unvented poss megaflow storage tank, with the option of switching over to immersion hot water if the combi dies!

by the way i hear whats being said ref having one of the bathrooms with electric shower, but just hate electric showers,

al

I have a 440 in my house ... Large 4 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, 16 rads and have been using it for about 12 months.

It replaced an 18 year old Worcester Highflow 3.5 which was starting to struggle with HW.

The 440 is a fab unit and you won't be disappointed. It fills a bath piping hot at full flow before the store is depleted and the store has never been depleted by our extremely powerful mains fed showers.

Sure, if you get in the shower immediately after running the bath you'll not get 20l/min (but will still get a pretty hot shower at slightly reduced flow) but, as the store is restored following the bath fill in about 7 minutes anyway, it's hardly a real world limitation. ;)

Simple installation, easy to maintain from the front, looks great in the utility room and our gas bills have gone down 12% over the old beast.

Go for it.

MW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back