Worcester 440 - the right choice????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a worcester highflow 4.5 (storage boiler - i've been told it's not exactly a combi, but works on the same principle i.e. no hot water tank ) which is about 13-15 years old, and seems to be on its last legs, so looking for a replacement.
Looks to me like the most sensible option is a Worcester 440 - the main reason is that we have an outdoor boiler house which is about 1.2m (approx. tall) and so we need a similar sized boiler to replace the existing one. I can't seem to find anything else that would fit! I don't think a wall-mounted boiler would work in there as I Think access for maintenance and servicing would be too difficult.

we curently have 4 beds + 1 bathroom, but planning on a loft extension next year to take us to 5 beds and 1 bath + 1 shower, so I think the 440 should be ok for that. I know it's not perfect, but with the constraints we have, it's about making the most of the situation.

Any thoughts or advice very welcome!
thanks

Sponsored Links
Take a look at the glow worm ultrapower sxi or the Vaillant 937 although I think an unvented cylinder and system boiler would be the better option.

the 440 seems to be a good boiler but there is apparently a newer version out soon which will eclipse it. either should easily handle 1 bath and shower.

New versions are the 440Cdi and 550Cdi.

Both offer enhanced flue options, which are very limited on the current Highflow 440.

The 440Cdi will feature a new front panel and electronics, and different fan flue equipment, but otherwise will keep the same specs as the Highflow 440 currently.

The 550Cdi will offer a 25 litre flowrate using the 42Kw WB5 heatcell.

We have two customers for these already but Worcester advise they won't be available until some time in October. We tried getting one last week but had to specify a Highflow 440 instead!

The Vaillant 937 is similar but if you have a Highflow now the Worcester will be easier to replace. Reliability wise the Worcester and Vaillant are about the same (apart from the heat store F81 fault that plagued 937s for a while until rectified).

Sponsored Links
thanks for all responses. my only concern is whether I would be able to fit somehting like the vaillant in an outside boiler house. I was looking at the fitting instructions which said they shouldn't be fitted anywhere where there is a risk of frost - I would have thought that this would be the case outside??!
frost has never seemed to be an issue to date with my worcester.

thanks for all responses. my only concern is whether I would be able to fit somehting like the vaillant in an outside boiler house. I was looking at the fitting instructions which said they shouldn't be fitted anywhere where there is a risk of frost - I would have thought that this would be the case outside??!
frost has never seemed to be an issue to date with my worcester.

the 937 has an integral frost stat and provided all pipes are well lagged (good practice) then it's not a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back