Worcester Heatslave 9.24 BF - Using 8 m3/hour instead of 2.9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've been worried by the amount of Gas my boilers using and started to monitor it, by taking regular readings off the Gas meter I've noticed that I use anywhere between 4.5 cubic metres an hour and up to 8 cubic metres an hour of Gas when running my boiler on central heating only. (ie: with no hot water taps open during the monitoring period of around 2 hours).

Nothing else in my house uses Gas, so I believe these figures to be correct. I've also tried turning the boiler off and monitoring the gas usage, with the boiler off the gas usage is zero, so I don't believe I have a leak anywhere.

Looking at the specs on the boiler and the details printed on it's front panel, it looks like the boiler should only require 2.95m3/hour of Gas.

Is it normal for this to be using much more than the printed spec's? Is there anything obvious I should look for in order to reduce the gas usage?

To complicate things... I only seem to get hot water when the central heating is turned on - after copious Googling and searching I stumbled across this forum which has helped me diagnose my boiler as having a dodgy diverter valve, which I believe to be the cause of this problem. I can see that the pin on the diaphragm doesn't raise when a hot water tap is opened, nor does it ever activate the microswitch. When I manually push the microswitch with a screwdriver the boiler fires into life and it appears to do something (however, I still don't get much hot water from it, but that's presumably yet another problem?).

Many thanks for any replies, after having a whopping great Gas bill from our friends at BG I'm really hoping I can sort this out and have more money for beer, rather than spending it all on Gas :)

Sponsored Links
guessing your gas meter is a u6 or an e6. it will only supply 6cu/m per hour. what type of meter is it.

Your reading the meter incorrectly or its accuracy is way out (but unlikely). At 8 meters an hour the boiler would be history. Time in seconds the time for one revolution of the meter test dial and post back. If its a digital meter time the readings over 2 minutes and post back the results.

Replace the diverter valve to sort out the DHW demand problem.

May I suggest you have the sums wrong.

Time how many unit are used in 2mins and post the answer.

Meter type, U6 will record 1-2 or 3 ft/hr which is yours or do you have the digital meteric meter

Sponsored Links
This indicates either

1) Your boiler gas consumption WAY above safe levels
2) Your gas meter is WAY out of callibration
3) You have a whopping gas leak

None seems very likely but one must be the case. My money is on 3).

Turn your gas off and call Transco for a free check. The number is 0800 111999. They'll turn up in half an hour I bet.

Cheers, Mike

Mike4 said:
This indicates either

1) Your boiler gas consumption WAY above safe levels
2) Your gas meter is WAY out of callibration
3) You have a whopping gas leak

Turn your gas off and call Transco for a free check. The number is 0800 111999. They'll turn up in half an hour I bet.

Cheers, Mike

Don't you think that someone might of caught a slight wiff of gas by now.
:rolleyes:

Hmmm, having read your response I revisited my figures and rechecked the calculations, in retrospect I think I'm completely mis-reading...

These are the readings I took recently, the figure includes the last 3 digits on the meter...

301126433_e85af4222a_o.png

The above three figures are taken with different settings, the first 1 is with the boiler on full temperature and all radiators turned on to their maximum setting.

The second reading was taken with the boiler set to minimum temperature and only 2 radiators on, then with about 4 radiators turned on and the temperature set to lowest still for the last setting.

The meter itself is a digital type, I think I was mis-calculating the last three digits, presumably they are millimetres cubed of gas - when I first did my calculations I was thinking they were Centimetres cubed of Gas, which in retrospect was a bit stupid of me :)

301126437_d1c9bb62c8.jpg

Thanks for so many responses - and so quickly too - very much appreciated :)

I think my next step is to get the boiler fixed and then talk to my gas company about the amount I'm being charged, am I right in thinking the boiler (assuming the figures are now correct) is using about the right amount of Gas?

Thanks all - this came about because they tried to up my monthy payments to 100quid a month. Being a single bloke living alone with only my gas and central heating powered by Gas, this seemed a bit steep, I provide regular gas readings too, so it's not like they can't estimate it properly...

Mike4 said:

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

I thought this too at first, but I wandered round the house with a naked flame and I didn't get blown up even once, so it can't be that.

Ok, I turned off the boiler and recorded the meter reading, then again 24 hours later and it hadn't moved, it was a cold day but I think that probably showed that there was no leak. I presume that's a reasonable test as the gas pipes in the house would still have been under pressure, even with the boiler switched off?

The readings appear perfectly normal - an average of 9.2Kw, 4.6 Kw and 6 Kw.

You can only assess the true gas consumption once you have the diverter working correctly since the boiler will probably only produce its maximum output with a hot water draw off. For test measurements the readings would only be taken over a 2 minute time period.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back