Worcester Highflow 400 RSF is causing me heartache!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, I'm kind of new to the forum. I've read quite a few posts and found very useful information for plumbing, decorating and joinery - Great stuff.

However after a bit of searching I found a few posts with Worcester Highflow 400 RSF problems but not this problem -

I had the boiler (its 7 or 8 years old) serviced by British Gas 2 weeks ago as part of the cover I have, later that day it stopped heating the hot water, heating seems to be working. The trip switch on the right hand side comes out, when I push it in we get hot water again for a minute or so before it pops back out again.

I have now had 3 different BG engineers, they have visited 6 times and changed pump, thermocouple and heat exchangers (both which took the guy about 12 hours over 2 visits) - still same problem. I'm now sitting waiting for another visit but don't have much confidence in them, at least not the guys who have visited so far.

Any help or advice/suggestions? Please don't tell me I need a new boiler :rolleyes: :(

Sponsored Links
Just re-assure yourself that the incompetence at fault finding is renewing lots of parts on your boiler for no extra cost. Sooner or later they will fit the 'correct' part.
Once fixed, do not renew your contract with them, but put the money aside to pay a competent person to look after your boiler.

Thanks, the thought had crossed my mind. The new engineer has ordered some pipes will be here Monday. I think I'm going to end up with a new boiler in the old case!

This really does indicate a significant incompetence at proper fault finding!

However, as stated you are getting virtually a new boiler for just an annual insurance fee.

I wonder if any one them ever checked the thermisters and gas valve settings.

Perhaps some of the BG staff could throw some light on these repair methods?

Tony

Sponsored Links
they obviously, north of the border, have a diferent approach to us southerners!
I personally like to diagnose the fault and replace the component that is dodgy, although I admit I don't always get it right so more than 1 part might be replaced.

twgas";p="2016103 said:
they obviously, north of the border, have a diferent approach to us southerners!
Perhaps in some areas, but when I worked for the dark side, the east of Scotland patches had, consistently, the lowest recall rates in the whole of the uk. For the OP, the highflow had numerous problems with nuisance overheating. If as suggested by Agile, the problem is not with thermistors then I would suggest looking at the small (6mm?) impulse pipe at the back of the diverter valve. If this is blocked the valve will not operate properly. We have also had a couple of faulty high limit stats resulting in nuisance trips. Tell the guy to be VERY CAREFUL if he has to drill the high limit phial from the heatbank. I learned from bitter experience :oops:

Perhaps some of the BG staff could throw some light on these repair methods?

yeh, let's all taking a big ******* guess at what's going on.

If one of these turds is choked up it's a miserable ******* job to clear it. admittedly the first "guess" would be to check/change the stats, especially if it's tripping every single time.

Hi Guys, looks like its fixed. I'll try to explain best I can what was replaced - The pipe/s which are used to divert the hott water to the heat exchanger for the hot water system was restricted. The engineer replaced that and all seems well.

I've probably explained it wrongly! I also added a fillter/magnet which will keep the system clean??

Anyway thanks to all who contributed, after 8 visits I now have hot water and can start showeing again :D

Remodot

The highflow boilers are prone to blockages. Usually the hydraulic assembly on the left hand side, the top amnifild, bottom manifold, some of the later ones had a filter on the cold mains feed.

What I'd do hear, which BG keep quiet is that you can insist on a manufacturers visit. If Worcester bo to the boiler then they will carry all the bits and won't want to re-visit. Sometimes you end up with pretty much a new boiler.

They work on these all the time. Thats my recomondation. If they say no, just stamp you feet and insist.

Hi Guys, looks like its fixed. I'll try to explain best I can what was replaced - The pipe/s which are used to divert the hott water to the heat exchanger for the hot water system was restricted. The engineer replaced that and all seems well.

Remodot

Thats logical, a blocked pipe and inadequate flow causing the o/h stat to trip.

However, thats easily diagnosed by simple thermal survey.

You are lucky they covered it as usually the small print excludes any problem caused by sludge.

Tony

Thats logical, a blocked pipe and inadequate flow causing the o/h stat to trip.

However, thats easily diagnosed by simple thermal survey.

You are lucky they covered it as usually the small print excludes any problem caused by sludge

Stop talking absolute s**t.

That is not an "easy" fault to diagnose.

Sounds like the engineer changed the more likely suspects of both heatexchangers before concluding its was a blocked pipe. You should get off that pedastool you put yourself on.

Another rude and abusive British Gas engineer!

Is it a requirement of the job?

Why do you hide your identity?

As an independent, I dont have the luxury of changing parts to see if it fixes a boiler. I have to exactly diagnose the fault !

glazier does talk a lot of **** (thermal survey :LOL: ) but to be fair to i fail to see how a blocked pipe has now been found in the boiler after both h/e's have been changed. virtually everything bar the pipes alongside the primary would have been removed to replace them. someone has been a bit lazy i suspect.

also glazier, have a guess why he "hides his identity". clue......i have told you a million ******* times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back