worcester highflow 440 - internal tank use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a 440 for a year now and am very pleased with it - water pressure in my area isn't really good enough to get the best out of it but I'm happy.

I wanted to test I'm getting better dhw flow when it's using the built in tank as I've not noticed any difference when having a long shower i.e. I can't tell when the 440 stops using the tank and turns in to a standard combi - or maybe I've misunderstood how it works?

I did a test filling a bowl and I found no matter how many times I filled the bowl with hot water it took the same amount of time, even after the tank had been used (I did it so many times it must have) - the only thing I did notice is that after a while the temperature of the hot water reduced....is this normal behaviour?

Also could anyone tell me how much water is in this internal tank? and how long would a typical shower take before the tank ran out

Cheers
Kenny

Sponsored Links
I think the only effect is the hot water temperature will reduce.

The tank is quite large but if you dont use the preheat anyway then you will not notice any difference!

I would guess the tank is about 40 litres and what effect that has on the flow rate depends on what flow rate you are taking.

The boiler will probably give about 12 li/min for ever but boosted to about 20 li/min for a few minutes until the stored heat is used up.

It really is not important but if you wanted to know how long the store will assist you would need to know the hot flow rate of the shower. Most ordinary ones are within the boiler's continuous capability.

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony - your response has sparked some more questions if you have the time:

The tank is quite large but if you dont use the preheat anyway then you will not notice any difference!
What do you mean by preheat - the internal tank? and how do I know if I'm using it - to me this sounds like I have an option to use it?

My flow rate is 22 apparently - I think it's litres per minute

The boiler will probably give about 12 li/min for ever but boosted to about 20 li/min for a few minutes until the stored heat is used up.
Do you mean up to 15 mins by a few minutes? if so it makes sense that I don't notice any change in the shower - but if you mean 5 mins then I should notice when the tank runs out during a shower? I should notice a flow drop as the shower is a thermostatic valve type - but I don't...strange. Or maybe I do but it's so slight I don't notice it.

It really is not important but if you wanted to know how long the store will assist you would need to know the hot flow rate of the shower. Most ordinary ones are within the boiler's continuous capability.
I assume that's 22 also as the boiler is meant to provide mains pressure dhw? it is an ordinary thermostatic valve type - I don't know what you mean by 'continuous capability', does that mean in combi mode?

Kenny

Your questions would mostly be answered if you read the boiler manual and try to understand what it says.

If you cannot then the installer should have explained the controls to you.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have read the manual several times Tony and I fully understand all the controls.

If my memory serves me well none of my questions here are answered specifically - I can't get anything from the Worcester Bosch website also

I've also spent a good deal of time searching these forums.

My second post was in relation to your initial helpful response - if this is not forum etiquette then my apologies.

The manual should clearly tell you how to turn the store preheat on and off!

The installer should also have explained that to you.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back