Worcester R28 Bolier Temp Control Not Turning Boiler Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Worcester R28 Boiler. It is a closed unvented pressurised system. The boiler is located outside in outhouse.

The boiler has two dials. Heating temp control and Hot water temp control.
It also has a digital gauge that tells you the temp of the water.

When I fire up and say I set the Heating temp to say 60 for example I would expect it to shut down and when it drops etc to then fire up.

Am I wrong in thinking this. I ask because the boiler will just keep running all the time for however long the timer is set for.

Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
It depends how much heat is being emitted by the system the boiler is connected to. If it is as much, or more than the heat the boiler is putting in, it won't go off.

Older boilers had only two settings for their gas valve 'on' or 'off', so they were continually switching between the two in order to maintain the correct temperature. Many modern boilers modulate the size of the flame to suit the heating load so may run continually but at a lower heat. I suspect that yours maybe one of them.

You don't say if the digital reading exceeds the set temperature, but if the boiler was overheating, its own safety mechanism would shut it down. However, if you are worried, you can buy a cheap strap on thermometer for about £10 to £20, fit it to the flow pipe to check what temperature is being reached.

Many modern boilers modulate the size of the flame to suit the heating load so may run continually but at a lower heat. I suspect that yours maybe one of them.

Thanks for your reply

Hence why I hear the fan go from high and then goes low and stays low just to maintain the set temp?

Sponsored Links
There you go then, it's doing its job. I'm assuming here that it does reach the set temp.

Hi. Yes it does. I wasn't sure if it was meant to shut off or not when temp reached. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back