Worcestor 24cdi boiler won't engage for shower, only sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've searched through the forums on here (and in other places) looking for a solution to my problem but it seems a bit niche as I've got a fairly old (now discontinued) Worcestor 24cdi boiler.

Recently we had some pipe work done (an old pipe sealed and taken away). Boiler pressure went down to zero, we repressurised the boiler, but then had some flashing lights on the boiler.

We reset the boiler as per the instruction manual, but since then we can't get the boiler to engage whenever the shower is on (which is linked straight to the boiler).

The boiler will turn on and heat water going to the bath taps, but even then it only turns on for about five minutes then turns off, so the water runs cold.

The only way it will stay on and heat the running water is with the bathroom sink's hot tap on. If I turn that on and then run the shower, it will heat the shower water, but it's nowhere near as warm as it was before, nor as powerful

I've checked the tyre valve and it's letting out air, not water, so that seems okay ... repressurised the boiler so it's at 1.8.

We thought it was the shower itself, so got someone over to replace the taps but that didn't work (£60 down the drain). He suggested it was the water pressure coming into the house, so I've contacted Welsh Water to have a look, but their first available appointment is in 2 weeks time (which is nice and customer friendly).

It does seem like the overall water pressure to the house has gone down as the taps don't run as fast as they used to (even just cold water) and the shower is definitely less powerful.

Does anyone have any ideas? Anything I can try and fix myself?? I've checked all the pipes and can't see any leaks anywhere.

Thanking you in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the Hot Water Diaphragm is kaput. :cry:

One of the worst jobs in boiler repair land.

Defo not DIY.

And make sure whover turned off the water supply turned it back on fully.

If you have had work done that involved turning off the water supply, check that the stop cock has been turned back on fully.

Your stop cock is usually in the kitchen, maybe under the sink? If you know where the main water pipe comes into your property, it is usually located within a foot or two of this.

There is also the main stopcock outside - in the street under a metal cover, though unlikely this was used to isolate your supply.

Sponsored Links
If you turn on the shower and then turn the tap on slightly until the boiler fires up then that will get you hot water until you call an engineer.

A Worcester fixed price repair is often a good idea.

Tony

Sounds like the Hot Water Diaphragm is kaput. :cry:

Agreed.

One of the worst jobs in boiler repair land.

And again. ;)

Defo not DIY.

I'd disagree here though. I wrote a few pages (here) which give an overview of what's involved and get several e-mails a week from people successfully completing the job so it's definitely DIYable.

I was contacted a few years back by a chap with hot water issues over a Christmas period and he couldn't get anyone out to sort it. He was sure it was the diaphragm given the symptoms and so decided to tackle it himself. Or rather, he decided to talk his wife through the task as he was wheelchair bound and had generally poor motor skills. It took them all day but they did it between them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back