Worchester greenstar 28i junior no central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, would really welcome some advice.

Tried to put the central heating on last night (first time in 8 months ish) on my worchester greenstar 28i junior and found it wasn't working. Have googled a few tips and this is a breakdown of where I'm at now.

Blue light is on
No flashing lights
Pressure is 1.5
Checked (bled) radiators, all fine
Hot water comes on fine, green ignition light comes on and stays on, all fine
Tried resetting, turning dial off, water off and powering back up, all comes on and seems normal.
No separate thermostat to worry about

However, when I turn the central heating on at the timer it comes on as it should (fan, green ignition light etc) but fan goes off and green ignition light goes off again after about 15 seconds. And that's it.

On inspection the water pipe feeding the radiators is hot inside of boiler but stone cold where it comes down the wall.

Anyone have any opinions on anymore steps before I payout the big bucks and get someone out?

Sponsored Links
These woshitters are temperamental sometimes. Could be one of many issues. Needs diagnostic test to know accurately

Easy one could be something's blocking the flue. You can inspect that yourself.

Failing that, there maybe a blockage in your boiler pipes or diverter valve may have seized

Ps I'm not a plumber or a corgi. Just DiyEr

Last edited:
The term "no user serviceable parts" springs to mind! Beyond the 'user' controls you really need an RGI!

Easy one could be something's blocking the flue. You can inspect that yourself.

Ps I'm not a plumber or a corgi. Just DiyEr

So if something was blocking the flue then how would you explain that the hot water works fine?

Or do you imagine the boiler has a separate flue for the hot water?

Sponsored Links
So if something was blocking the flue then how would you explain that the hot water works fine?

Or do you imagine the boiler has a separate flue for the hot water?
Hey relax... If you jump down every ones throat every time they post a suggestion this forum will die. This forum is for diy-ers giving other diy-ers suggestions

Diagnosing boiler faults is a tricky game. No one ever gets the diagnosis right first time

Well I certainly expect to get my boiler diagnosis correct first time.

If I could not then it would be a very expensive exercise!

Last week I replaced four boiler PCBs, if they were not required they would have been about £600 wasted!

As for DIYers advising DIYers, how is that ever going to be better than pros advising DIYers?

As you said yourself "Diagnosing boiler faults is a tricky game".

Although I don't usually have any problems.

Tony

Get someone out, very common fault on that boiler, if its what im thinking would cost a call out and not much else, you cannot take the front cover off yourself so wont get much advice

What I am thinking of would need a part which come in a packet of two parts for about £60 as they don't sell them separately.

But regardless of what the problem actually is it will need a registered boiler engineer.

Tony

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back