worcster junior 24I locking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a worcster junior 24i and this morning it has started locking out when any demand for HW or CH is placed upon it. have taken the cover off to look through the viewing port and can see two little prongs which i presume are the ignition circuit but i can see no sparks from when a demand is placed on it until it times out.

is there anything i can check for before i have to get a plumber out to look over it.

cheers Dibs

Sponsored Links
Whats the needle on the pressure gauge reading at the front of the boiler?

If your getting no spark and you reset boiler and still get no spark and IF your electrode leads and ignition leads are ok which they probably are then your pcb would be faulty which are very expensive for the junior.

Sponsored Links
I take it you have power to the boiler, pump comes on, fan comes on

If the fan and pump comes on but no spark then locks out its likely that its the pcb, as long as the electrode and ignition leads are fine. As for how long a pcb should last, how long is a piece of string? Pcbs on the Worcester are normally very good and can last the life of the boiler but other people may say otherwise, but then pretty much all people have a bad experience with every other make of boiler. I have replaced pcbs on many makes of boiler whether the boiler be a couple of years or a dozen years old. You would be best to get the boiler checked out

The Junior 24i is a very new boiler and they have a two year extended guarantee subject to conditions.

Are you sure yours is not still covered?

Tony

not covered unfortunatly as have the reciept from the installer dated feb 04. so looks like il have to get a plumber out. anyone know of a good place to order parts from so i can look at prices and compare to what he is charging.

Curzons and Shoreheat are reasonable at trade price that is.

Dibs said:
not covered unfortunatly as have the reciept from the installer dated feb 04. so looks like il have to get a plumber out. anyone know of a good place to order parts from so i can look at prices and compare to what he is charging.

Sounds like another of these suspicious customers!

As you seem to expect to start an argument if he charges say £80 for a part you see at £70 then would you mention it and offer to pay more if you find the part at £90 ???

Virtually ALL the customers I hear of complaining about spare parts prices charged to them have started off by conveniently forgetting about adding the 17.5% VAT and carriage.

Whilst we dont normally add any significant markup to spare part costs there are many who do and surely when about 20%-30% is normal in shops as thats what pays for the premises and staff so then why not for the boiler engineer who has to spend time buying them?

I am glad I dont work in the Plymouth area.

not at all i wouldnt argue over a price like that i just want to know that the prices are in the same ball park and hes not just taking me for a walk up the garden path. i appreciate that alot of you especially those who offer their help for free on these forums are genuine and fair but there are alot of people out there who are not and i have not idea of knowing one from the other. anyone from plymouth then.

Unfortunately due to what has been portrayed on the tele over the years does make alot of people suspicious. The plumbers from hell programmes want to put bums on seats watching it making people think that every plumber is a cowboy ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back