Word 2010 automatic date completion

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I turn off the automatic date completion feature in Word 2010?

When I type the date at the top of a letter, having typed '2014' I receive the message '2014-12-21 (press ENTER to insert)'. I don't want to insert that; I have already typed the date as I want it.

At the moment, the only way around this is to press the space bar after the date before pressing ENTER, but I often forget to do this and would like to turn the 'feature' (annoyance) off completely.

I have searched high and low for an answer, including the Microsoft website which is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Alt + backspace will undo the last autocorrect if done immediately after it does it.

Try:

Insert menu > autotext > click on autocorrect, then uncheck Show AutoComplete suggestions
or
Tools menu > autotext > autocorrect, then uncheck Show Autocomplete suggestions

Thanks for your help, Owain, but I cannot find anything like 'autotext' or 'autocorrect' in my 'Insert' menu, and there's no sign of a 'Tools' menu anywhere.

I also searched under 'Word Options' in the 'Office' button (the one at the top left), but could find nothing like 'Show Autocomplete suggestions'.

This is an Office 2010 version of Word. Perhaps the features you suggest refer to another version?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I looked under 'Proofing', including 'Autocorrect Options', but there is definitely no 'Show AutoComplete suggestions'.

I don't use Word and the interface varies so much in different versions, but you're looking in the right area at least!!

Well, from what I've read elsewhere it cannot be turned off without going into the registry. Excellent dictatorial decision by Microsoft!

"You WILL find this addition to Word a useful thing!"

So use Libre Office.

It's Free !!

Yes! What a good idea. I already have LibreOffice. I got it some time ago so that I could read/edit some old Lotus documents.

It's excellent; it can read almost anything!

Sponsored Links
Back