Words

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I say Queer Starmer because it Rhyms with Kier.. Notch tells me I'm homophobic. I tell him it's a word my Nan would use if I was not well..
John tells me I'm being Silly.. but then he Google's it.
I obviously I know in the wider term as to why its used now.

Point is why is it that certain sections of society think they can adopt a word that originally meant something else and keep it for their use only? Others are often insulted for using said words?

There's plenty of other words not to be used now.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it ok to use the word gay in the way I used to use it in my younger days, or would that be homophobic too?

I say Queer Starmer because it Rhyms with Kier.. Notch tells me I'm homophobic. I tell him it's a word my Nan would use if I was not well..
John tells me I'm being Silly.. but then he Google's it.
I obviously I know in the wider term as to why its used now.

Point is why is it that certain sections of society think they can adopt a word that originally meant something else and keep it for their use only? Others are often insulted for using said words?

There's plenty of other words not to be used now.

you say Queer Starmer as a slur.

whether you choose to be honest about that is upto you

Is it ok to use the word gay in the way I used to use it in my younger days, or would that be homophobic too?

I have a friend who's name is Gay and has a private plate that say Gay... so I hope so for her sake

Sponsored Links
you say Queer Starmer as a slur.

whether you choose to be honest about that is upto you

You seem to have no problem using slurs with Boris or Prety.. . If you choose to be honest about that is upto you

I have a friend who's name is Gay and has a private plate that say Gay... so I hope so for her sake
I also know people who have the name Gay but as a surname, they are a family of Gay’s.
It used to mean carefree, happy, or something along those lines but sometime around 40 or 50 years ago its meaning was high jacked.

I also know people who have the name Gay but as a surname, they are a family of Gay’s.
It used to mean carefree, happy, or something along those lines but sometime around 40 or 50 years ago its meaning was high jacked.

Sorry his wife's name is gay

Yes I know a plumber with a Gay surname.

My Grandad from the other side would say to me that I had no spunk..... meaning I had no oompah or energy in me..... even then it still had the meaning it does now.

Worked on a site where the site agent was forgetful and prone to making funny errors. One day he had to phone the local haulier to come and take the Hy-mac machine to another site. The haulier was called Bob Gay, and the site agent had him down in his book of phone numbers under G, Gay Bob, when the secretary answered the phone the site agent, looking at his book, says "hello can I speak to Gay Bob".

The word gay is almost never used in its correct sense now, but at one time you could innocently be very gay one day and feel really queer the next.

Language is not fixed or static, it continually shifts and moves with the time. That's why the poster in the other language thread saying he goes to an 'old dictionary' to get 'proper' definition of a word' not a 'leftie' one; is entirely out of touch with the evolving use of lingo.

Language is not fixed or static, it continually shifts and moves with the time. That's why the poster in the other language thread saying he goes to an 'old dictionary' to get 'proper' definition of a word' not a 'leftie' one; is entirely out of touch with the evolving use of lingo.

I except its evolving but I don't except its replacing. Same same but different I still call Snickers "Marathons"

If someone who's bent wants to use Gay or Queer then I have no problem why would anyone.

Sponsored Links
Back