Work abroad / Overseas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to find someone who can give me some information on working abroad or put me in touch with a company recruiting people.

I am currently a self employed electrician based in Northern Ireland, near Belfast, and I am at my wits end. Work has been unreliable of late to say the least and right now I have not lifted a tool in over a fortnight.

I've posted ads on every free site I could find with no return whatsoever, normally advertising isn't even necessary as most of my work has come from word of mouth but it seems people have just stopped spending money again.

I've painted almost every room in the house, whether it needed it or not, cleared up every bit of DIY I could that needed cleared up and am now bored stiff and cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel as far as working and getting money in goes.

I'm hard working and friendly and just cannot get used to sitting in the house and have concluded that the best way forward is to head abroad for a while until everything over here starts to pick up again.

So if anyone could help it would be much appreciated as I have no Idea where to start, I've searched google but anything I found seemed to be for companies requiring American Electricians not UK based JIB Electricians.

Thanks very much in advance for any help guys! :)

Sponsored Links
I've worked offshore for the last 20 years, and the main factor is that nobody is going to come and give you a job, you have to get out and beat feet around to find work.

There are loads of offshore companies who can use an experienced sparky, but they generally want experienced people, and you can't get experience until you have worked offshore already, a vicious circle.

Do you want to work in another country, or on rigs, ships etc? If it is the latter then you need certain safety training qualifications to do it, you can't just jump on a chopper and join a rig. Another stumbling block. I know guys who have shelled out the £1000 ++ themselves to do the training, just to put themselves in a better position.

You could try googling for 'oil rig electricians' or similar and see what comes up. There are a lot of rigs working out of Aberdeen, and generally all over the world.

To work on ships you usually need maritime certification, seamans ticket etc.

Sponsored Links
Back