Work not certified

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years back I had a new kitchen which involved a number of electrical jobs including a new consumer unit.

The work was done by a local trader I knew at the time as a friend and nothing has been certified. The trader is no longer around and I'm sure he wouldn't of registered it anyway.

I am now thinking of selling and realise that work like this has to be certified. As there is no chance of being able to produce these, how do I stand whenl I do sell.

Can the work be checked off by a qualified electrician to get the needed bit of paper?

Sponsored Links
I am now thinking of selling and realise that work like this has to be certified. As there is no chance of being able to produce these, how do I stand whenl I do sell.

That would depend what you mention to the buyer's solicitor. Not that I'm suggesting you lie, of course.

you can purchase indemnity insurance for a reasonable fee, which gives the buyer peace of mind that if anything goes wrong with the uncertified works after they buy it, that it is covered.

if a survey picks up on the fact that works have been done without certification, your buyers solicitors may request indemnity insurance be purchased as a term of purchasing the house.

this happened to my mother when she bought her last house. The owner had a wall removed and RSJ put in, and a shower put in without testing and certs or building control. Her solicitors requested the seller purchased indemnity insurance for both issues or the sale was not going to proceed. The seller got it straight away in order to get the sale moving.. i think it was going to cost about £100

Sponsored Links
That would depend what you mention to the buyer's solicitor. Not that I'm suggesting you lie, of course.
I sincerely hope not, not even in a jokey nudge-nudge-know-what-I-mean kind of way.

Lying turns a very minor issue of Building Regulations contravention into fraud, which is a very different, and very serious matter. MegPas - don't even think about lying.

you can purchase indemnity insurance for a reasonable fee, which gives the buyer peace of mind that if anything goes wrong with the uncertified works after they buy it, that it is covered.
No it doesn't - indemnity insurance like that is for the new owner of the property and it only covers him against the costs of any enforcement action taken by the council.

It does not provide any cover to anybody against costs or losses etc arising out of problems with the work.

Anybody considering them should do careful research - the chances of there being a meaningful risk that they would cover are pretty small, they become null and void if you contact the council about the work - generally they are a complete waste of money, and prone to being mis-sold.

i stand corrected

i knew it had something to do with it, but was convinced it covered work as well. So much for Martin Lewis's money saving forum advice!

I would think that getting in touch with the LABC first as last is the best option, see what they need to satisfy their requirments, all councils are different, some seem quite lax and others very tight with how to acheive it.

I sincerely hope not, not even in a jokey nudge-nudge-know-what-I-mean kind of way.

Lying turns a very minor issue of Building Regulations contravention into fraud, which is a very different, and very serious matter. MegPas - don't even think about lying.

Indeed it does, but if the work has been done correctly, the chances of the matter escalating any further are extremely slim.

It would seem the most sensible route would be to have a PIR carried out and go from there. By doing this before selling the house, you will at least have chance to get any problems corrected without being at the mercy of the buyer, who by that time may expect you to knock a fair chunk off the asking price for remedial works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back