As a sparky would you certify work done in your own house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hyperthetical question.

I am 52, been in the electrical trade all my life. Was self employed for 20yrs until recently and was NICEIC registered. Got all the appropriate qualifications,
I now work for a local electrical contracting company cards in.

Question is-:

Would you as an electrician (who is not a member of a certifying scheme) certify any work you did in your own house to the local building control. ??????
I reckon not many would, I certainly wouldnt.

Sponsored Links
Well, I am a member of a scheme so I do certify.

If I were not, you may think I would be keen to give the LA a couple hundred pounds but I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

They wouldn't wear it for foreigners (rightly), but surely you could notify your DIY work through the firm?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean cerification

or do you really mean notification?

Good point. I assumed that 'notification' was meant.

Would there be a point in 'certifying' if you had not 'notified' as you should?
Surely that would just be putting in writing that you had done work illegally.

Would you as an electrician (who is not a member of a certifying scheme) certify any work you did in your own house to the local building control. ??????
I reckon not many would, I certainly wouldnt.
So if you can comply with the law and avoid any problems in the future by notifying through your employer, why would you not do so?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back