Work Shoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got the new work shoes.

I think it so important to wear decent footwear.. these do seem to be good quality

Sponsored Links
20221112_152712.jpg

I’m thinking I need some comfortable footwear, been eyeing up some Englebert Strauss ones. Nigh on £90 or dearer for yours @MynameisBod?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Nice :)

But to be honest, I've never had any issues with the cheapest "Site" boots from Screwfix.
...It's also really convenient having a shoeshop that's open really early/late! ;)
The cheapest safety boots have steel toe caps, which being metal are heavier than composite toe caps, they also tend to lack sole puncture protection, and are they water proof? Many bigger sites now require a minimum of S1P or better S3 proytection standard (with sole anti-puncture) these days. Better boots also offer things like breathable linings (GoreTex or the like - which reduce the chances of foot infections such as trench foot), optional wide fittings (everyones' feet spread as they get older, especially if you spend 10 hours a day standing - and some of us actually start out needing foot canoes from the off - wearing boots which are too narrow results in bunnions and club toes, both painful)) and most better boots have some form of active cushioning in the heels, too, which reduces leg fatigue. Screwstation have never had a single pair of boots that fit me properly to date...

I'm shy to say £200 odd.

I normally get Cofra but just thought I'd give these a try
I've been on Cofra for a few years now (S3, composite protection, Gore-Tex lining, heel support, wide fit) having previously been a Steitz user. I changed when the Steitz boots I liked became all but impossible to find in the UK without paying £200+ (because we left the EU). My last Cofra boots ran me £115. What are those trainers? (Not that I'd buy safety trainers - I need ankle side protection so trainers are verboten - just curious)

Last edited by a moderator:
The cheapest safety boots have steel toe caps, which being metal are heavier than composite toe caps, they also tend to lack sole puncture protection, and are they water proof? Many bigger sites now require a minimum of S1P or better S3
They do have steel toe caps, but I find them light enough. They are S1P, but not water proof.
My use isn't as arduous as on a building site, but I do wear them all day (after having an incident involving an errant 80kg gas cylinder and a broken toe!) and they are my preference for walking in outside of work. They're are also water resistant enough for that use.
...but as you say, they may not suit everyone!

Trainers

I'm in and out of people's houses so easy sip on off.

If no better than Cobra then I'll go back as they are far cheaper

I really don't like paying out a lot of money for work boots, but there are reasons why you shouldn't always buy the cheapest footwear on the market (a major one being what they do to your feet over a 20 to 30 year period - a quick chat with a chiropodist can be very informative)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
a quick chat with a chiropodist can be very informative)
Is this something that can be done as a telephone call or book an appointment? I suffer slightly with my feet, I have some crocs for around the house now and they’ve helped massively.

I paid £224 quid Over 3 winters it's nothing if they do me well.

I have toe tecter sandles for the summer
I really don't like paying out a lot of money for work boots, but there are reasons why you shouldn't always buy the cheapest footwear on the market (a major one being what they do to your feet over a 20 to 30 year period - a quick chat with a chiropodist can be very informative).

Is this something that can be done as a telephone call or book an appointment? I suffer slightly with my feet, I have some crocs for around the house now and they’ve helped massively.

What's your problem with your feet

I really don't like paying out a lot of money for work boots, but there are reasons why you shouldn't always buy the cheapest footwear on the market (a major one being what they do to your feet over a 20 to 30 year period - a quick chat with a chiropodist can be very informative)

I was always told to buy a good bed and good foot wear, as you will always be in one of them!

Andy

TBH I don't know. I only realised I had a problem a few years back when I damaged the toe nail on a big toe and needed to see the practice nurse who told me I had an ingrowing toe nail, but also commented on the early signs of bunions and my club toes (all the result of wearing boots that were a poor fit for decades). The GP eventually removed the toe nail but I did pay for a number of sessions with a chiropodist (cost me about £20 a session a few years back)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back