Steel tubing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have any tips on where to source some? A browse on fleabay seems a bit expensive.. i just want a few meter and half or so lengths to make a shoe rack at the bottom of a wardrobe space.

Sponsored Links
just phone up a local steel engineering works, they'll usually sell stuff on the qt for a lil cash

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips lads. Have found this which could well fit the bill, at under 4ft high though sounds a bit small eh?

what about electical conduit ? about £2.50/mtre

CO20.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Steel_Index/20mm_BE_Conduit_and_Fittings/index.html

Nice idea on the conduit, but i'm not sure it would handle the weight without sagging. A broom handle definitely wouldn't.

heeelllooo kaseryn

you will definatly need a centre support if its over 4ft and its a hanging rail for a wardrobe i personaly dont like spans in excess of 30" between supports

if you dont you will need substancial support at the ends

get yourself a 3ft length fully load up the 2ft in the middle with assorted overloaded hangers and lift :oops:

and if you do use copper for rails [i do] make shure you varnish or paint them to stop dicolouration of the copper and eventualy the clothes

kaseryn said:
Nice idea on the conduit, but i'm not sure it would handle the weight without sagging. A broom handle definitely wouldn't.

For a shoe rack........................... :eek:

Just what size feet do you have................... :LOL:

trazor said:
kaseryn said:

For a shoe rack........................... :eek:

Just what size feet do you have................... :LOL:

lmao m8 :LOL: soz i was thinking you meant for the clothes rail part. Yes.. both would be great for the shoes rack. The actual span involved for everything is just a little shy of 4ft. With the old rail (one i was looking for the odd sized bit for) it's heavy guaged enough that it doesn't sag over that.. even fully loaded. I'll probably try and get the right bit so i can just use that again.....orrrrrrrrr

have seen some cool tubuing systems that could be custom designed to make best use of space at ikea, but cost a fortune. However.. these Key Clamps look bloody handy!

http://www.keyclamp.co.uk/Buy_Key_Clamps_Online/Size_5/Clamps/A10_Key_Clamp.htm

check out the tube sizing for the n0.5 tube.. very nearly the same as my old tube.. i could just use a couple of those end collars to fix it.. and maybe use the same system for the shoe rails and a shelf above.. spiffy!

Shhhhtoppp shhtoppp. With all these idea's you are confuzzling me! :) No really, i found a standalone rack that's lush and near a perfect fit..

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30099783

Key clamp holders for my existing bar (perhaps, as they want £10 postage for two of the damn things!) then i just need to decide on the above shelving arrangements.

it says holds 10 pair of shoes !!!!

so where is your misses going to put tuesdays wednesdays thursdays friday saturday or sundays shoes !!!!!!!!! nevermind--------------------------------------------------

---- next week or next months shoes :D :D

LMAO :) Not something I have to worry about fortunately! That said i seem to be a bit of an Immelda Marcos in the making myself. Err. That's blokes shoes though. Just so we're clear like. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back