Workaround to control dry / electric underfloor heating with Hive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a central heating system controlled with a 3 zone Hive active heating system. I'm about to add electric underfloor heating to the family bathroom. Hive is not really designed to control dry / electric underfloor heating but I remember reading on a forum once (can't remember where!) that there is a workaround. The Hive controller controls a secondary switch (?) could be the wrong terminology) that can cope with the load of the underfloor heating system and that switch then turns the underfloor heating pad on and off. Can anyone out there comment on whether this is likely to work and if so, what sort of additional switch or other kit is needed so that I can suggest it to my electrician?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
With electric under floor heating there are two controls, one for room temperature and one for floor temperature, these are normally combined into one thermostat. The Moes thermostat for example has the option for a NTC sensor and also connects to wifi.

To fit a relay so Hive can take current is easy, it is the under floor sensor which is the problem.

There are under floor heating systems which self regulate, I seem to remember raychem make one, where the resistance of the heating element increase as it is warmed, you may be able to use that type, or of course wet type, but most need a pocket and a sensor in the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back