Worked for an old lady who was befriended by someone

But you do hear of wills being successfully challenged eg Great Aunt Agatha has left everything to Great Wortham Home for Sick Animals. And sometimes they overturn the will

Sponsored Links
But you do hear of wills being successfully challenged eg Great Aunt Agatha has left everything to Great Wortham Home for Sick Animals. And sometimes they overturn the will

Usually, it is because someone left out of any provision in the Will, has no other means of financial support. In this case the best way of fighting the Will is because the Will was not drawn up and countersigned properly, or their was an element of coercion.

Coercion....that could be applicable in the OPs case.

There was coercion of course. And the nephew could have challengedo this in a civil court but myself and other lady didn't want to get involved. It was also three or four years ago so civil case can't be done. Too long ago. I am wondering whether she can be prosecuted criminally. I send info anonymously to action fraud. The

Sponsored Links
No not necessarily.

Gross is before liabilities paid. There may have been mortgages, debts, fees, etc to pay.
No mortgage. Wouldn't Action fraud be interested in investigating if she gifted herself money based on the difference between gross and net payments for criminal charges..This was three years ago so too late for civil case. But could look into fraud? No statute of limitations on criminal activity.

I remember when I read this 2 years ago u said it was criminal.

I read through your old posts. You really know your stuff

Surely £420,000 gross and net £297,000 is enough to investigate?

The latitude for challenging a will is very very slim. My solicitor pal, whenever asked to do so, says that he and all his legal chums always respond with, "No problem, we can do that. I'll need £3,000 on account up front, and my clerk will inform you when it is all gone and we'll need another £3k. That ok? Oh, and there's no guarantee of success." Rarely goes beyond that.

Areh
The latitude for challenging a will is very very slim. My solicitor pal, whenever asked to do so, says that he and all his legal chums always respond with, "No problem, we can do that. I'll need £3,000 on account up front, and my clerk will inform you when it is all gone and we'll need another £3k. That ok? Oh, and there's no guarantee of success." Rarely goes beyond that.
You mean they rarely can overturn the will?

Those solicitors are parasites. A lady I know spent £80,000 on fees fighting the daughter of her dead husband. £350 /hr

Areh

Those solicitors are parasites. A lady I know spent £80,000 on fees fighting the daughter of her dead husband. £350 /hr

My first partners Will was set up by a firm of solicitors in 1997 and she paid for it doing, they had written two named solicitors in the firm as Executors. My understanding of that, meant that they could quite reasonably claim upto 20% of the total value of the estate for their fees as Executors. Unfortunately for them, the advice to solicitors was that if AN Other was capable of dealing with the execution and all the benefactors were agreeable, that the solicitors should not force the issue. It went before a judge and I was able to do it all myself, at no cost.

Those solicitors are parasites.

No, I mean that the grounds for challenging a will are few in number. If the person making the will is of sound mind, free of coercion, has not cut out children for whom he/she is legally responsible (and I suppose one or two other convoluted reasons); then there is no challenge. Deciding your adult kids are A-wholes and leaving the estate to the Cats' Protection League does not make you of unsound mind.

On parasitic lawyers (if aimed at my remarks): my friend uses the '£3k on account' opening to stop frivolous challenges. It's an honest approach. If a person wanting to change his will is old, infirm or in a home, he videos them and he having a chat about it, reasons, decision-making process etc. Show that to the family who are saying he was coerced or of unsound mind; or to the judge, and again, challenges fade away.

No mortgage. Wouldn't Action fraud be interested in investigating if she gifted herself money based on the difference between gross and net payments for criminal charges..This was three years ago so too late for civil case. But could look into fraud? No statute of limitations on criminal activity.

I remember when I read this 2 years ago u said it was criminal.

I read through your old posts. You really know your stuff

Surely £420,000 gross and net £297,000 is enough to investigate?
No, I said there was no evidence of a crime.

I remember two years ago on this thread you mentioned it being criminal. Maybe you edited it and you do seem to understand a lot about this subject.
The difference between gross and £420,000 gross to £297,000 net is a lot. If no mortgage (maybe asset relief) maybe a gift before death but could be a crime and easily discovered as she would have bank transfrred the money. She and her husband now live in old lady's home

Sounds like sour grapes Purpleload, looks like you wanted to get in there yourself, you old devil!

Andy

get a copy of the will https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

see what it says.. you might find contact details for the executor, next of kin.. The other option is to pass the lead to an Heir Hunter who may investigate
Using the above link, I looked up the will of my neighbour who died in 2008. She had left me and another neighbour £5k each and left nearly £300k plus her house to her son. To her daughter she left nothing because, as she said in the will, "I have helped her out financially throughout the whole of her life". I bet the daughter was gutted!

A inheritance solicitor when she looked at the difference between gross said she'd obviously gifted herself money. She was after a civil case for nephew but I didn't want to get involved because lady (thief) would have known I was involved if went to court in civil case.

. I just thought sending it to Action fraud anonymously might be an idea if what this solicitor said was

A/true

B/ is gifting yourself money a criminal offence? Fraud

Even an ex copper friend said he had no idea and I'm still searching for these answers

Last edited:
Sounds like sour grapes Purpleload, looks like you wanted to get in there yourself, you old devil!

Andy
I'm glad you said this as I guess people would think this. And I need to know what people would think.

It's not so much jealousy(as you seem to imply) as revenge. A horrible woman who caused me lots of stress when I worked for deceased old lady for years. And this is now a chance to get her back without her knowing for sure who dobbed her in. It's more personal hatred. A total b####ch

Sponsored Links
Back