Worker has cut all BT wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a satellite dish from the front of my property, including the wiring removed.

For some dumb reason the person also snipped away the incoming BT cable coming out of the ground on my side, this cable came up and into the BT Junction box on the wall, he also snipped away the cable coming out of this junction box on my side, leading into the house.
I am in a semi, so my neighbours incoming also has crimp connections in this junction box.

I've managed to re-wire my side temporarily - this connection does not go through the connection box, I am hoping it has not affected my neighbours side. I only have broadband on my line, no phone.

I am curious to know why my neighbours incoming black and green wires were connected to my side - going into my property.

The cable coming up out the ground has a much thicker sheath with some sort of waxed paper liner, and just two twisted pairs, can this cable be rejoined/spliced (to a BT Standard), as an example:

and the cut cable reinstated from the ground outlet back to the junction box, and then connected in the junction box by Gel Crimps to the thinner BT cable back out to the house as previous.

Providing my neighbours have not been affected, and my side is fine, would BT take any action if they found non approved connections when they next visited - when ever that might be.

Should I be prepared for a large bill from BT if they did visit.

BT Cut Wires.jpg

07042018454.jpg

07042018446.jpg

Attachments

• 07042018445.jpg
    07042018445.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 1,029
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Make sure he can/will pay first. If not get some jelly crimps on EBay and tidy it up.

Google:
Dexgreen BT Openreach Waterproof Enclosures
or
Genuine BT Telephone Data Cable Joint Repair External Enclosure Kit Waterproof

(my you tube link above to MrTelephone - it appears he doesn't sell his AMP ones anymore)

Seems quite a popular item on ebay, to repair cut BT Drop Wires - seems lots of people cutting through their BT cables with gardening equipment etc, are DIYing the repair:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/please-help-i-cut-my-bt-drop-wire.190472/

If its repaired properly to the same standard as a BT Engineer, using original cables clipped to the wall, the Dexgreen Enclosure, and Gel Crimps inside the BT66 Box - would I still have a problem with BT, if ever they came to visit.

Of the BT Drop Wire coming up out the ground, it appears only one twisted pair services my broadband connection, the BT dropwire has 2 pairs (ie 4 wires) are the other two spare ? - I will take them up to the BT66 box, but not take them further if they are spare.

Sponsored Links
Ok, well the splicing and water proof enclosure kit I bought didn't work, its for a thinner cable, I couldn't get it to click shut on my 'drop cable', and am now being told by the vendor it wont work on the larger cable I have, I am being offered a BT16A, but not sure if that would pass muster ... after a bit more googling looks like the cable is a 'DropWire No 10' ...

IMG_6662.JPG
IMG_6661.JPG
splicer outside.jpg
View attachment 140018
Ebay BT16a.jpg

Last edited:
My guess is there was at sometime a fault on your incoming underground feed and the engineer borrowed the spare pair from your neighbours ug feed to get your line temp working,your ug incoming is newer cable.From this box (bt66) the feed in for your house is on pair two (orange white) and should have been on pair one (blue white),or your both on your neighbours feed in and some lasy engineer has swopped you onto there spare pair because he is lazy or does not have the skills to track ,locate and repair a fault on your ug cable .The boxes you have shown are all for above ground connections and not ug .You need either a bt66 or grey capping telecomms. Look at the master socket and see which colours are terminated to a/b its probably orange/white if its blue white then your sharing their ug feed.

Thanks, that would make sense that they borrowed a connection temporarily, BT dug the garden up to put a new cable down some years back, which as I remember took a few days, what ever was taken from my neighbours is no longer used.

So am I right in thinking: feed in should be on 'pair one' blue and white (which it is for the dropwire 10) to the BT66, the cable coming out then changes to a 3 pair thinner cable going in to the house, striped orange and white are crimped to the blue and white of the incoming drop.

Images of the socket in the house and crimped cables - the socket has been redundant for years, striped orange and white are crimped to a blue and brown of a 2 pair wire, that goes off to a broadband router under the stairs.

Seems I have 3 types of wire here.

On a different subject I am creating a drive shortly - how far down would the cable be, and would it be all in polypipe ? as it is as it emerges next to the front of the house.

IMG_6663.JPG
IMG_6664.JPG

Last edited:
Your ug feed looks like it is ducted probably to a box in the pavement it will probably be about 1ft down under your garden not much deeper.Drop term is only used when you are fed from a overhead pole ,you have a ug feed then a lead in into the house.i assume your master socket is under the stairs now, you just have three different cables due to their age and B.T changing the cable type over the years.
If you look at the pavement outside your house opposite where your ug feed comes up your wall you will probably see fresh tarmac or a pavement box,just dig carefully when doing your drive.
P.S it looks like you can do away with a few of those cables next to the orginal master socket.

Last edited:
Thanks for your description of all, I found the original wiring in the BT66 - Blue and White from the ug Feed crimped to the Striped orange and white, will assume thats correct -yes some of those cables are redundant.

But I'm still not 100% sure what BT use to do a waterproof splice a ug feed cable - if it gets cut, I just want to make a repair they would wouldn't look twice at = or is it practice to replace the whole cable run from the street (about 10 meters).

Yes found the pavement box outside:

Attachments

• IMG_6668.JPG
    IMG_6668.JPG
    381.1 KB · Views: 385
Its abit difficult to tell what happened from the picture ,if the duct is below the bt66 you show a engineer would pull abit of slack up from the ducted cable and fit either a bt 66 or grey capping and run a new lead in into your house,the cables are crimped together using jelly crimps to prevent water ingress.
Who did it because they should be paying for the repair if they work for a reputable company contact them,otherwise do what i advise and no one will know the better just act dumb in the future if you gst any problems.

thanks simonpolly, not sure why grey capping was never fitted over the pipe coming out of the ground in the first place:

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/product/bt-cable-entry-covers/PG4336
I maybe able to fit part of the above (BT Connector Bend 4), and then to use with a new bt66 and join using Jellies.

The relationship I have with the person who cut through the cable is probably too forgiving, but yes they should really pay for the repair.

Just use a bt66 and run a new lead in if needed,no one will ever know the difference,most openreach engineers are so rushed they are happy if they can get in and out of a job within the short time they are allocated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back