BT Overhead Black Telephone Drop Wire (2 wire) broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I need your advise on an issue triggered after builders work.

The current setup is that the BT 2wire drop cable hangs on the rooftop, then it runs into the first floor bedroom via bottom of the window frame which was connected via jelly crimp to the blue/blue white internal cable and some sort of white junction box, which then runs out of the same window frame to the outside and then all the way down to the bottom of living room bay window frame on the ground floor and terminates on NTE5 master socket.

The problem started when builders unknowingly ripped apart an extension socket cable in the first floor bedroom, which was connected to this white junction box. During this process the BT 2 wire drop cable got twisted so badly that the cable which was inside of the window broke and also the internal cable. Now the cables are so short that I can't pull them in to connect them.

I have inspected outside of the house to see if their is any extra BT 2 wire drop cable hanging on the roof top or somewhere along the window to pull it into the window, unfortunately no extra cable has been left.

Please advise me as to what my options are to reconnect them as it was, on the internal window frame?

Don't want to call BT as they will end up charging around 100-200 pounds.

Thanks,[/img]

Sponsored Links
Internal cable should not be used externally.

The easy option is to get BT to fix it and, if they charge you, deduct that charge from the builder's account.

BT would probably use something like this to join on a new length of external cable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350820963274

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for replying.

Internal cable should not be used externally.

This is how it's been setup when we moved to this property and when the Openreach engineer reactivated this line about a year ago, he should have picked up on this and changed but he didn't.

The easy option is to get BT to fix it and, if they charge you, deduct that charge from the builder's account.

Builders account is settled. Can't charge him now.

The below link doesn't work.

BT would probably use something like this to join on a new length of external cable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350820963274[/QUOTE]

Are their any other options?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Sorry, as I may be wrong. The cable to which I was referring to as internal cable is probably external cable with 3 pairs in it, orange+orange white, blue+blue white, green+green white, of which blue+blue white are active.

Hi,

Can't read the writing on your drawings as it's way too small! However ... your telephone line installation is a mess - probably entirely due to the age and structure of the building.

You could spend time online finding out how to resolve this but the upshot is that your builder has chopped the cable. So you can either fix this yourself by fudging a solution together or you could just pay BT or a qualified electrician to sort it. I know I'd certainly do the latter. I appreciate it's not the cheap option but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Good luck!

is probably external cable with 3 pairs in it, orange+orange white, blue+blue white, green+green white, of which blue+blue white are active.
Those colours in WHITE sheath are 99% certain to be internal cable.

Two core drop wire is often replaced by OpenReach free of charge as much of it is past it's "best by date". It is replaced with a cable that is mechanically stronger. So get BT to arrange for the repair. Have tea and choccy biscuits ready for the OpenReach technician and he may then install the drop wire with an NTE 5 master socket where you want it to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back